- A Few Things to Note Before You Watch “The Look of Silence” This Weekend
"It's all fairly straight-forward. But then, suddenly, the film takes a radical turn."
- The Vanishing of the Director of 'The Vanquishing of the Witch Baba Yaga'
"Real life trumped the rest." Tom Roston sets out to learn why 'The Vanquishing of the Witch Baba Yaga' filmmaker Jessica Oreck has taken a step back from the documentary film world.
- Next on POV: Web Junkie
Web Junkie goes deep inside a military-style Beijing treatment facility, where young patients are forced to face their virtual demons. Is this the wave of the future? Watch "Web Junkie" - Monday on PBS.
- Spread the Word: 'Tough Love' on PBS
Organizations and individuals across the country are getting the word out about Tough Love, and you can, too!
- Next on POV: Tough Love
What makes a good parent? How do you prove you are responsible after you've been deemed unfit? Watch "Tough Love" - Monday on PBS.
- How to Add Video and Text to 3D 360-Degree Video with the WebVR Starter Kit
Check out this example using 3D 360-degree video along with live-generated text for subtitles.
- A Virtual Camera for Interactive Documentaries, Inspired by Side-Scrolling Video Games
This new open-source code library creates a virtual camera that can zoom and dolly inside interactive web-based experiences.
- Get Your Documentary Artistry Right Here
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston asks Ann Hornaday of The Washington Post to reconsider her view that today's documentaries aren't "bold, daring or artful."
- Spread the Word About 'The Overnighters' in the Final Hours!
The Overnighters airs tonight on PBS (check local listings). Let your community know about the film.
- Next on POV: The Overnighters
Chasing the American dream, thousands of workers flock to a North Dakota town where the oil business is booming. Watch 'The Overnighters', Monday on PBS.
- Spread the Word About ‘Out in the Night’ in the Final Hours!
Out in the Night airs tonight on PBS (check local listings). Let your community know about the film.
- Rooftop Films New York Non-Fiction
This Friday, join Rooftop Films for New York Non-Fiction. From the Upper West Side to Brighton Beach, from the Civic Center courts to Red Hook's baseball parks, New York is full of unique characters.
- Take Care, Mr. Elson: Watch the Documentary & Go Behind the Story with Journalists from The New York Times
Emma Cott and Abby Goodnough discuss reporting on the effects of the Affordable Care Act on one chronically ill man in Louisville, Kentucky, and what his story says about the United States healthcare system in 2015.
- POV Hackathon Chicago – August 15-16, 2015 – Apply by July 10
POV is now accepting applications for POV Hackathon 9 (Chicago - August 15-16, 2015). Apply by July 10, 2015.
- Lucy Walker's 'The Lion's Mouth Open' and Confronting Huntington's Disease
Where do we draw the line between being movie watchers and empathetic human beings when viewing a documentary about the fate of someone's life? Tom Roston reflects on Lucy Walker's short documentary The Lion's Mouth Opens, premiering on HBO Documentaries.
- Alex Winter's 'Deep Web' Looks Into Dark Corners of Digital Society
If you ever watched House of Cards and were as riveted as I by the young skinny, hipster hacker character who looks like a member of the band The National and sits in the dark drinking wine and cracking code, and if you also thought, "I wish they'd make a movie about that guy," then here's your movie.
- Albert Maysles: Conjurer of Real Life
Pioneering filmmaker Albert Maysles passed away earlier this year at the age of 88. POV's series creator Marc Weiss remembers Maysles for his profound influence on him and generations of documentarians.
- 'Dis(honesty) – The Truth About Lies' Reveals How and Why We Lie
A smart, accessible documentary that brings the research of Dan Ariely from lab to screen. And, are filmmakers liars? Doc Soup Man Tom Roston talks with director Yael Melamede about the ethical tangles of making docs.