- Critics Say This POV Doc Opens Eyes and Sheds Light on Islamic Women
The Light in Her Eyes premieres tomorrow night, July 19, 2012, on PBS stations. Read what critics are saying about the film.
- The Road to Success: What “Racing Dreams,” Sadie Nash, and my POV Internship Did for Me
Keyana Cumberbatch-Walters is a high school intern who joined POV through Sadie Nash Leadership Project. As her POV internship draws to a close, she shares how Sadie Nash, POV and the documentary Racing Dreams have influenced her.
- Art and Storytelling: My POV Internship Experience
Kim Lopez is a Community Engagement and Education intern from the Center for Arts Education. A senior in high school, she is passionate about photography and film and shares her experience interning with POV.
- Upcoming POV Documentary Screenings
Community events continue across the country, including sneak preview screenings of our upcoming 25th anniversary season.
- The Results Are In! POV Educators Give Feedback
For National Teacher Appreciation Week POV is sharing some inspiring stats and anecdotes from our 2011 Educator's Survey.
- Commemorate Brain Injury Awareness Month
March is Brain Injury Awareness Month. Take a look at our educational resources for Where Soldiers Come From to explore the impact of traumatic brain injury on military veterans and their families.
- Adobe Youth Voices Announces the Aspire Awards for Youth Media Makers
We’re excited to share the news about the Adobe Youth Voices Aspire Awards, a dynamic opportunity for youth around the globe to submit their most compelling work to an international media competition.
- Looking Forward: Tools for Social Studies Teachers in 2012
POV's Community Engagement and Education coordinator shares her thoughts on two online, interactive tools that social studies teachers should be on the lookout to use: Mission U.S. and the Twitter hashtag #SSChat.
- What a POV Internship Meant to Me
Former Intern Aubrey Gallegos shares her experiences behind the scenes of POV's 2011 season.
- Project VoiceScape: Grant-Winning Teens Tackle Tough Topics
Project VoiceScape, a collaboration between Adobe Youth Voices, PBS and POV, recently awarded 15 $2,000 filmmaking grants to 22 emerging young talents from around the country. Project VoiceScape editorial committee member Jessica Lee tells us about some of the challenges she faced in awarding the grants and what we can expect next from the filmmaker-finalists.
- Of Books, Burros and Bibliotecas: Viewers Bray About 'Biblioburro'
Each Friday, we share a selection of comments relating to the week's documentary broadcast. This week, viewers posted their reactions to Biblioburro: The Donkey Library, the story of a librarian — and a library — like no other.
- Critics Say 'Biblioburro' Makes the Grade: Tune in Tonight!
Biblioburro: The Donkey Library is the story of a unique librarian–and his library. Luis Soriano braves armed bands, drug traffickers, snakes and heat to bring his library on hooves to the children of Magdalena Province in Columbia. Read what critics have to say about the film.
- Next on POV: 'Biblioburro: The Donkey Library'
POV's 24th season continues on Tuesday, July 19, 2011, with the U.S. broadcast premiere of Biblioburro: The Donkey Library, a story of a librarian - and a library - like no other.
- Live Chat with Shelby Knox and Filmmakers Marion Lipschutz and Rose Rosenblatt
- Teachers – Show Us How You Innovate!
The 2011 PBS Teachers Innovation Awards opens for entries. From math and science to music and the arts, your inventive thinking continuously fuels, inspires and engages young minds. Whether you teach your students physics with rocket launchers, social studies by re-enacting historical events, or literature by inviting kids to create digital stories, you are innovating […]
- 'The Edge of Dreaming' Community Screenings at Schools of Metaphysics Next Week
Dr. Barbara Condron oversees international education for the School of Metaphysics (SOM). On January 22 at 7 PM, 17 SOM branches around the country will host screenings and discussions of Amy Hardie’s The Edge of Dreaming (POV 2010). I always look forward to Tuesdays. They’re my days in town with Hezekiah, our 15-year-old son who […]
- POV Filmmaker Jesse Epstein's 'Films in Action' Videos
Over on the Fledgling Fund blog, we came across these great videos by POV filmmaker Jesse Epstein that show the power of documentary film to change people’s minds and inspire them. The first video takes place at Greenpoint, Brooklyn’s Fade to Famous barbershop, the location of Jesse’s short film Wet Dreams and False Images. She […]
- Doc Soup: Politics and the Message of “The Principal Story”
Education is a hot-button issue, both politically and personally. But I still couldn’t believe the reaction to President Obama‘s Back-to-School speech two weeks ago. Right-wing zealots raging about how it should be boycotted? School districts in Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia and Wisconsin actually complying and boycotting the broadcast of the speech? The […]