- Film Anatomy: Behind the Blue Veil
Fernanda Rossi dissects the making of the documentary Behind the Blue Veil by filmmaker Robyn Symon. Read about the filmmaker's smart moves, memorable moments, and what she vows to never do again.
- 5 Lessons for Documentary Filmmakers From Pioneering New Journalism Article
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston annotates an annotation of Gay Talese's groundbreaking New Journalism article, "Frank Sinatra Has a Cold" with lessons for documentary filmmakers in mind.
- Where You Can Watch 2013 News and Documentary Emmy Winners
At last night's News and Documentary Emmy Awards ceremony, PBS programs garnered nine awards. The good news for you — all of these winners are available to watch for free online!
- Interact with Web Documentary Prototypes from DocMontevideo Hackathon
DocMontevideo held their first Hackathon in Montevideo, Uruguay in July 2013. Interact with the web documentary prototypes made by three teams of filmmakers and technologists from Argentina, Uruguay and Chile.
- Announcing POV's 2013 Documentary Filmmaking Equipment Survey
Are you a documentary filmmaker? Then we want to hear from you! POV is surveying documentarians through October 10, 2013 to create a comprehensive equipment guide - based on what you're actually using in the field.
- Ten Questions for Eline Jongsma & Kel O'Neill of Empire
Eline Jongsma and Kel O'Neill answer questions about creating the interactive documentary Empire. The Project will have its US Premiere at the New York Film Festival’s Convergence program in September 2013.
- The Future of Documentary Education: Inside Three New College Programs
The directors of MIT's Open Doc Lab, Duke's MFA in Experimental and Documentary Arts, and Loyola Marymount's in-development documentary MFA program share how they are reinventing documentary education.
- Film Anatomy: Lost and Sound
Lost and Sound follows three extraordinary people as they rediscover music after deafness. Read about the filmmaker's smart moves, memorable moments, and what she vows to never do again.
- Back To School Shopping: Documentary Filmmaker Edition
A back-to-school wishlist from rising sophomore and filmmaker Matthew Seife (Little Steps).
- Why Did CNN, Time, Al Jazeera and Netflix Start Documentary Units?
Several news and media organizations have announced new divisions or commitments to documentary programming. Heather McIntosh investigates why.
- Spotlight on The 2013 Flaherty Seminar
Shannon Carroll recaps her experience at the 2013 Robert Flaherty Film Seminar, where 160 filmmakers, programmers, academics and film enthusiasts convened in Hamilton, New York, to investigate the form and function of history in cinema.
- 6 Essential Tips for Using Archival Footage
Panelists at a recent Doc U event organized by the International Documentary Association weigh in on 6 things to keep in mind when working with archives.
- Celebrate The New Doc Vague!
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston elaborates on the idea of "The New Doc Vague" and invites filmmaker Sean Dunne of Oxyana to address criticisms of the film.
- A Cloud Storage Collaboration Guide for Filmmakers
Cloud storage isn't just a way to back up backups of backups, it has great potential for use as a hub for your film production.
- Beware The New Doc Vague
Doc Soup Man labels "The New Doc Vague" to a recent movement of documentary films that heavily rely on impressionistic representations of life.
- For Filmmakers: The Top 25 Docutweeters
Whether you are new to Twitter or a veteran, "who should I follow" is always a burning question. Check out our list of the 25 Docutweeters that you should be sure to follow!
- The Making of Bear 71
National Film Board of Canada producer Loc Dao shares some of the process and numbers behind the 2012 interactive documentary Bear 71 with blogger and documentary consultant Jaya Mahajan.
- Lucy Winer (“Kings Park”) on Making a Career in Documentary Filmmaking
The filmmaker of Rate It X and Golden Threads is wiser after releasing many documentaries the "traditional way" and has turned to a new model for making a living as an independent filmmaker.