- For Filmmakers: Documentary Filmmaking Resources from POV
Check out our new resource for documentary filmmakers that covers everything from funding opportunities to online video platforms to "engagement" strategists you can hire for your film.
- A Call for Documentary Critics
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston says film criticism is in decline just as documentary is reaching new heights in popularity. Where are the critics who can recognize what's great -- and what's not -- in a documentary?
- Five Top Takeaways from Tribeca Film Institute's Interactive Day
Liz Nord provides five major takeaways from Tribeca Film Institute's 2013 Interactive Day, providing insights for filmmakers who are exploring the digital space for storytelling.
- Vimeo Is All About Filmmakers With Its New Self-Distribution Service
Vimeo announced its new self-distribution service on Tuesday, so how does it work? Is it easy to use?
- Why True/False 2013 Rocked (And Why True/False Always Rocks)
The 2013 True/False Film Fest just wrapped and, once again, the phrases "this is my favorite festival," and "I love this festival more than any other" were heard and seen over and over.
- Pitching 101: Writing the Pitch, and Other Pitch Preparations
In this first part of a series on pitching, Paul Pauwels offers some overarching advice for preparing your pitch and what to put into writing.
- Women of Transmedia
Liz Nord profiles eight of the trailblazing women she's learned from while making her own transmedia documentary.
- Kickstarter: Tips from Three Successful 2012 Doc Campaigns
If you're thinking about fundraising for your documentary on Kickstarter, here are some words of wisdom from three successful campaigns in 2012.
- Facebook? Twitter? Help! – Tips and Tricks for Filmmakers on Social Media
It's a new year. Festivals are gearing up again. And you think, how do I market my film on social media? Here is a list of some evergreen tips to get the ball rolling.
- Practical Tips for Pitching to a Funder
When pitching to a potential funder there are a lot of common traps that filmmakers fall into. Here is a list of 9 practical tips that every filmmaker should consider when preparing to pitch.
- The Best Documentaries of 2012
What's the best documentary of 2012? We're tracking festivals, critics, blogs, award shows and more to determine the top docs of the year.
- A Visit to Kartemquin Films: An Inside Look at a Corner Documentary Production Studio
This post is the first in a series about my visit to the documentary production powerhouse Kartemquin Films.
- Do Documentary Filmmakers Deserve Screenwriting Credit?
Documentarians write while preparing a film and editing it, but there's little writing that makes it into many kinds of nonfiction. What do you think?
- Three Things to Know About Yourself Before Hiring a Transmedia Designer
After beginning a transmedia project for her new documentary, filmmaker Liz Nord has some short and easy tips to think about before you hire a transmedia designer for your own project.
- TMI: How Much Information is Too Much Information When Gaining the Trust of a Subject?
Donal Mosher and Michael Palmieri, the directors of the award-winning October Country and the new documentary Off Label, understand the nuance in sharing personal information to win over a subject and, sometimes, in keeping a secret.
- 6 Golden Rules for Filmmakers on Social Media
What's the best way to ensure success online? Read six tips for engaging your audience from Elisabeth Holm (Kickstarter), Gary Hustwit (Helvetica), Julie La'Bassiere (FilmBuff) and Mike Knowlton (StoryCode, Murmur).
- The Best Documentaries of 2011 (Updated)
Nerd out to our infographic of the top documentaries of 2011, based on lists from critics, documentary festivals, industry organizations and online voting!
- 12 Small-Town Documentary Film Festivals for 2012
A roundup of the nation's best small-town film festivals (with populations less than 100,000) for escaping the crowds, paparazzi and hype.