- Doc Memo: How Film Festivals Select Films, Spain's Booming Doc Scene
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- A Preview of Hot Docs 2015
The Hot Docs film festival in Toronto, which kicks off today, is the paradise where good documentary lovers go to die.
- Full Frame Documentary Film Festival 2015 Preview
Which docs to see at Full Frame? Programming director Sadie Tillery took Tom Roston behind the scenes of his picks from the 2015 lineup.
- Peter Young on “The Last Ocean” and the Politics of Antarctica's Ross Sea
"We have no idea how valuable those places will be in a couple of generations. Right now, it takes a lot of foresight. Empty pockets and a bank deficit are not very good for foresight. It's the same as every problem we face -- it's short-term gain as opposed to the long-term benefits."
- The Inaugural New York WILD Film Festival Showcases Documentaries About Adventure and Exploration
In January, the Explorer's Club opened its wrought-iron doors to crowds of freezing New Yorkers, who trekked through snowy sidewalks and single-digit temperatures to attend the opening night of the New York WILD Film Festival.
- Top 5 Films from Hot Docs 2014
Hot Docs Film Festival 2014 concluded this weekend in Toronto, Canada. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston shares his favorite films from the fest.
- Sundance 2014: StoryCorps Dispatches from Park City
StoryCorps dispatches from the 2014 Sundance Film Festival on all things animation & documentary.
- For Filmmakers: Documentary Filmmaking Resources from POV
Check out our new resource for documentary filmmakers that covers everything from funding opportunities to online video platforms to "engagement" strategists you can hire for your film.
- Tribeca Film Festival 2013: “Big Men” and “Flex is Kings”
Tom Roston reviews documentaries "Big Men" and "Flex is Kings" at the Tribeca Film Festival (April 17-28, 2013).
- Tribeca Film Festival 2013: Documentary Preview
Tom Roston highlights 13 documentaries to look out for at the nonfiction onslaught that is the Tribeca Film Festival (April 17-28, 2013).
- Why True/False 2013 Rocked (And Why True/False Always Rocks)
The 2013 True/False Film Fest just wrapped and, once again, the phrases "this is my favorite festival," and "I love this festival more than any other" were heard and seen over and over.
- True/False Film Fest Stands Out in Missouri
True/False celebrates its tenth year, beginning February 28. Tom Roston spoke with co-founder Paul Sturtz about heading up a festival that strikes its own path.
- Facebook? Twitter? Help! – Tips and Tricks for Filmmakers on Social Media
It's a new year. Festivals are gearing up again. And you think, how do I market my film on social media? Here is a list of some evergreen tips to get the ball rolling.
- A Documentary Dream Team (The 2013 Sundance U.S. Documentary Jury)
It's Sundance season, and Tom Roston is looking West to the all-star documentary jury of the 2013 Sundance Film Festival
- An Overview of the Docs at TIFF
With the Toronto International Film Festival having kicked off at the end of last week, Tom Roston provides a short list of his must-see docs in the festival this year.
- POV at Silverdocs 2012: Panels & Events
Are you in Washington, D.C., for the Silverdocs Documentary Festival? Meet POV staffers at these conference panels and events this week!
- My Five Favorite Documentaries from True/False Film Fest 2012
Tom Roston recaps the Midwestern film festival True/False, where he saw a slate of inspiring documentaries including How to Survive a Plague, The Imposter, Bully, Searching for Sugar Man and Undefeated.
- A Preview of the 2012 True/False Film Fest
Tom Roston gives a rundown of the films he is looking forward to seeing at the True/False documentary festival, as well as some of the quirky events he hopes to catch while he's there.