- Dynamo, Distrify & Distribber: Documentarians Test New Tools for Direct Distribution Online
The filmmakers behind the documentaries Until the Light Takes Us and Wake Up share their experiences with DIY video-on-demand.
- Final Cut Pro X: Filmmakers Remain Skeptical
We asked you, our blog-reading filmmakers, for thoughts about Final Cut Pro X, the latest edition of Apple's popular editing software, and how you're making the decision to upgrade, switch or stick with what you've got.
- I Have $5,000… What's the Ideal Documentary Kit?
Indie filmmakers offer tips for building a documentary kit on a budget in this guest post from DocumentaryTech's Edward J. Delaney.
- How Much Money Does It Really Take to Make a Documentary?
In the wake of America's credit rating downgrade and a day after a 600-plus-point drop in the Dow, Edward J. Delaney of DocumentaryTech looks at how the documentary-film economy is changing rapidly.
- 'Senna' Director Asif Kapadia
Senna, the first documentary from BAFTA award-winning fiction film director Asif Kapadia, uses archival footage exclusively to create an enthralling tribute to Brazilian Formula One racing star Ayrton Senna. Kapadia discusses the film and countering the "reckless reputation" of its star.
- Panoramic Video Tools Enable a New Storytelling Dimension
Watch 360-degree video that has already made its mark in the ad world and in music videos, and find out about two new tools that could soon bring panoramic video capabilities to the masses.
- Game On: Zach Wise on How Video Games Are Influencing Documentaries
Documentarians are taking cues from video games to expand their audience and tell new kinds of stories. Multimedia producer Zach Wise offers thoughts on "gamification" for independent filmmakers.
- Project VoiceScape: Grant-Winning Teens Tackle Tough Topics
Project VoiceScape, a collaboration between Adobe Youth Voices, PBS and POV, recently awarded 15 $2,000 filmmaking grants to 22 emerging young talents from around the country. Project VoiceScape editorial committee member Jessica Lee tells us about some of the challenges she faced in awarding the grants and what we can expect next from the filmmaker-finalists.
- Project VoiceScape: Meet the Filmmaker-Finalists and a Stellar Group of Documentary Mentors
The Project VoiceScape filmmaker-finalists are now in production working toward an October showcase, with mentorship from some of the best documentary filmmakers we know. Meet the filmmakers and their mentors!
- A Conversation with 'Tabloid' Director Errol Morris
Freelance journalist Adam Schartoff talks with Errol Morris about his new documentary Tabloid, how he knows journalists read his Twitter feed and the technology behind his intimate film interviews.
- Critical Acclaim for 'Enemies of the People': Watch it Tonight
Critics have been singing the praises of Enemies of the People
, an enthralling new documentary that provides an unprecedented and unflinching account of Cambodia's genocide under the Khmer Rouge.
- To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?: Final Cut Pro X
With the release of Apple's Final Cut Pro X, editors and production houses are weighing in on their editing software options.
- Dispatch from South Korea: Discovering Docs at the INPUT 2011 Public Media Conference
Theresa Riley reports on her experience attending this year's public media INPUT conference, held from May 9-12, 2011 in Seoul, South Korea.
- POV Viewers' Favorite Documentaries About Women
Discover the wealth of documentaries about women.
- The Critics: Documentary Distributors' Best Friends
Do you know who a documentary distributor’s best friend is? The film critic, that’s who. Take a look at 2010’s ten best reviewed films of the year at rottentomatoes.com: Marwencol Waste Land GasLand Toy Story 3 How to Train Your Dragon Exit Through the Gift Shop The Social Network Inside Job Mugabe and the White […]
- Doc Soup: The Documentary 'Power' List: Part I
As promised, I’m delivering my list of the most powerful people in documentaries. I have come up with 50, but this week I’m going to build some dramatic tension by presenting 40 out of the 50, leaving the top 10 to come next week. Is this a definitive list? No. It’s more of an impression. […]
- Doc Soup: Hipsters With Heart
They might not make a lot of money. They may not always feed the ego. But documentaries are hip. It’s worth noting in these times (I’ll get to that later) that there are a couple of super cool docs directed by uber-hipster directors that have recently hit theaters. First, there is The Thorn in the […]
- Announcing POV's 2010 Season
POV Executive Director Simon Kilmurry unveils the exciting line-up for the 23rd season of POV on PBS. I always feel a bit of a disconnect when I hear talk of a crisis in the media and then I see all the fantastic films that come through POV. Believe me, I know it’s tough out there, […]