- 10 Tips for Successful Fundraising Demos
Viewing trailers may not render a single rule that applies to other projects or filmmakers. Yet there are some common principles that help the filmmaker think strategically about his or her choices. Here are my tips.
- Entering the Edit With Karen Schmeer Fellow Colin Nusbaum
Get started with POV's new series delving into the craft of documentary editing with 2014 Karen Schmeer Film Editing Fellow Colin Nusbaum.
- #docchat: How I Made My First Documentary – Join POV's Twitter Chat on April 8
Join POV on Twitter for a #docchat with veteran documentary filmmakers and get their advice for first-time filmmakers on Tuesday, April 8, 1-2 PM ET (10-11 AM PT).
- $1,500 for a Second of Footage? A New Site Is Connecting Marketers to Documentary Filmmakers
Dust off those old hard drives. Catch & Release wants your B-roll.
- Your Best and Worst Advice for Documentary Filmmakers
Drawing influence from the new book Tell Me Something: Documentary Filmmakers, POV blog readers offer some of their best and worst advice for documentary filmmakers.
- When Will the Women of the Documentary World Get Their Due?
Of the Oscar-nominated documentaries this year, only one is directed by a woman (Jehane Noujaim, of The Square).
- Take the 2014 International Documentary Challenge
Sign up now for the 2014 International Documentary Challenge. The final registration deadline is February 15, 2014!
- Film Anatomy: David Bromberg Unsung Treasure
Fernanda Rossi dissects the making of the documentary David Bromberg Unsung Treasure by Beth Toni Kruvant. Read about the filmmaker's smart moves, memorable moments, and what she vows to never do again.
- Film Anatomy: Fringes: New Adventures in Jewish Living
Fernanda Rossi dissects the making of the documentary Fringes: New Adventures in Jewish Living by Paula Weiman-Kelman and Jonathan Lopatin. Read about the filmmaker's smart moves, memorable moments, and what she vows to never do again.
- Create Your Own Essential DSLR Video Kit
Find out which camera body, lenses, audio equipment, rigs, tripods, monopods, editing software and other miscellaneous tools you need for a top-notch DSLR filmmaking kit.
- Creating Multi Camera Sequences in Premiere Pro, Part 2
This article is part of a series of posts from MediaStorm with tips and tricks from their producers’ experience working with Adobe Premiere Pro CC after years of working in Final Cut Pro.
- For Filmmakers: DIY Digital Distribution Platforms
So you've made your film... Now you start the biggest challenge of them all: getting it seen. We've complied a list of digital self-distribution platforms and asked each one why documentary filmmakers should pick their service over all the others.
- Web Documentaries – A #docchat Recap
A recap of POV's #docchat conversation from December 3, 2013 with invited guests from the web documentary world.
- #docchat: Web Documentaries – Join POV's Open Twitter Chat on December 3
Join us on Twitter for a #docchat about Web Documentaries on Tuesday, December 3 from 12:30PM-2:30PM ET (9:30AM-11:30AM PT).
- Documentary Equipment & Tools Workshop – Watch the Full Video Online
A recap of the #docchat conversation from November 12, 2013, with filmmaker-educators Duy Linh Tu (Columbia University) and Caleb Pike (DSLR Video Shooter).
- Film Anatomy: Lucky
Fernanda Rossi dissects the making of the documentary Lucky by filmmaker Laura Checkoway. Read about the filmmaker's smart moves, memorable moments, and what she vows to never do again.
- POV's 2013 Documentary Filmmaking Equipment Survey (Updated)
View the infographic. Cameras, lenses, audio and more: POV asked documentary filmmakers which gear they can’t live without, and which they can't wait to try.
- Film Anatomy: How to Lose Your Virginity
Fernanda Rossi dissects the making of the documentary How to Lose Your Virginity by filmmaker Therese Shechter. Read about the filmmaker's smart moves, memorable moments, and what she vows to never do again.