- Fall Online #docchat Series: Engagement Strategy, Doc Criticism and More!
Join POV's Fall Online #docchat Series starting Tuesday, October 1, 2013 for online panels about engagement strategy, documentary criticism and planning for long-term documentary projects.
- Film Anatomy: Justice For My Sister
Justice For My Sister follows one woman's journey through the Guatemalan justice system as she struggles to hold her sister's killer accountable. Read about the filmmaker's smart moves, memorable moments, and what she vows to never do again.
- Announcing POV's 2013 Documentary Filmmaking Equipment Survey
Are you a documentary filmmaker? Then we want to hear from you! POV is surveying documentarians through October 10, 2013 to create a comprehensive equipment guide - based on what you're actually using in the field.
- Film Anatomy: Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia
Gore Vidal: The United States of Amnesia is an entertaining tribute to the iconic writer Gore Vidal. Read about the filmmaker's smart moves, memorable moments, and what he vows to never do again.
- Black Betty: A Digital Camera Designed Like a Film Camera
Nofilmschool.com calls it "the first single unit camera in existence capable of shooting, editing, and posting footage online, without the need for any other hardware."
- Film Anatomy: Lost and Sound
Lost and Sound follows three extraordinary people as they rediscover music after deafness. Read about the filmmaker's smart moves, memorable moments, and what she vows to never do again.
- Back To School Shopping: Documentary Filmmaker Edition
A back-to-school wishlist from rising sophomore and filmmaker Matthew Seife (Little Steps).
- 6 Essential Tips for Using Archival Footage
Panelists at a recent Doc U event organized by the International Documentary Association weigh in on 6 things to keep in mind when working with archives.
- Film Anatomy: Zipper: Coney Island's Last Wild Ride
Amy Nicholson must have been the last person in the world to shoot a documentary on film. Yes, film. Zipper was going to be her next project and just a short. It became a feature.
- Tips for Making Your First Film: Choosing a Topic, Interviewing Like a Pro, and One Aspect of Filmmaking That's Often Overlooked
Getting ready to make your first film? First read these tips from leading youth filmmaking organizations.
- High Tech, Low Life: Live Chat with Filmmaker Stephen Maing and Subject Zola
Join the #docchat Twitter chat with High Tech Low Life director Stephen Maing on Tuesday, July 23 from 5-7 PM ET (2-4 PM PT).
- Struggles: The Making of 'Only the Young'
Filmmaker Elizabeth Mims shares advice for first-time directors as she takes POV behind the scenes of Only the Young.
- A Cloud Storage Collaboration Guide for Filmmakers
Cloud storage isn't just a way to back up backups of backups, it has great potential for use as a hub for your film production.
- MacArthur Foundation 2013 Documentary Open Call Approaching!
The MacArthur Foundation will be accepting proposals for documentary film production funding ONLINE for the first time. Submissions will be open from July 15 - 31, 2013. Submissions close on July 31, 2013 at 3 PM CDT.
- For Filmmakers: The Top 25 Docutweeters
Whether you are new to Twitter or a veteran, "who should I follow" is always a burning question. Check out our list of the 25 Docutweeters that you should be sure to follow!
- Lucy Winer (“Kings Park”) on Making a Career in Documentary Filmmaking
The filmmaker of Rate It X and Golden Threads is wiser after releasing many documentaries the "traditional way" and has turned to a new model for making a living as an independent filmmaker.
- For Filmmakers: Documentary Filmmaking Resources from POV
Check out our new resource for documentary filmmakers that covers everything from funding opportunities to online video platforms to "engagement" strategists you can hire for your film.
- Recommended Reading: The “360 Equation”: The One Business Model Every Filmmaker Needs To Know
Marc Schiller of BOND360 explains his company's approach to independent distributing.