- High Tech, Low Life: Live Chat with Filmmaker Stephen Maing and Subject Zola
Join the #docchat Twitter chat with High Tech Low Life director Stephen Maing on Tuesday, July 23 from 5-7 PM ET (2-4 PM PT).
- Struggles: The Making of 'Only the Young'
Filmmaker Elizabeth Mims shares advice for first-time directors as she takes POV behind the scenes of Only the Young.
- A Cloud Storage Collaboration Guide for Filmmakers
Cloud storage isn't just a way to back up backups of backups, it has great potential for use as a hub for your film production.
- MacArthur Foundation 2013 Documentary Open Call Approaching!
The MacArthur Foundation will be accepting proposals for documentary film production funding ONLINE for the first time. Submissions will be open from July 15 - 31, 2013. Submissions close on July 31, 2013 at 3 PM CDT.
- For Filmmakers: The Top 25 Docutweeters
Whether you are new to Twitter or a veteran, "who should I follow" is always a burning question. Check out our list of the 25 Docutweeters that you should be sure to follow!
- Lucy Winer (“Kings Park”) on Making a Career in Documentary Filmmaking
The filmmaker of Rate It X and Golden Threads is wiser after releasing many documentaries the "traditional way" and has turned to a new model for making a living as an independent filmmaker.
- For Filmmakers: Documentary Filmmaking Resources from POV
Check out our new resource for documentary filmmakers that covers everything from funding opportunities to online video platforms to "engagement" strategists you can hire for your film.
- Recommended Reading: The “360 Equation”: The One Business Model Every Filmmaker Needs To Know
Marc Schiller of BOND360 explains his company's approach to independent distributing.
- Ten Questions for Loc Dao and Hugues Sweeney of the NFB
Executive producers from the National Film Board of Canada's interactive division give Murmur's Hal Seigel an in-depth look into the process behind recent projects A Journal of Insomnia and Bear 71.
- Five Top Takeaways from Tribeca Film Institute's Interactive Day
Liz Nord provides five major takeaways from Tribeca Film Institute's 2013 Interactive Day, providing insights for filmmakers who are exploring the digital space for storytelling.
- Five Questions with Hugues Sweeney of The National Film Board of Canada
NFB producer Hugues Sweeney tells Liz Nord about Journal of Insomnia, an installation and web documentary featured at the 2013 Tribeca Film Festival's Storyscapes exhibit in New York City this weekend.
- Standard Three-Camera Interview Setup
MediaStorm provides a comprehensive look at their three-camera setup for interviews, outlining their camera, audio, and light layouts.
- Simplifying HTML5 Video Compression
HTML5 video export settings to maximize compatibility across the most popular browsers.
- Recommended Reading: Top 10 Twitter Tips for Filmmakers
In 2012, Thom Powers of Stranger Than Fiction gave his biggest tips for filmmakers on Twitter, covering the basics while also providing some great strategy pointers.
- 5 Recommended Reads for Aspiring Editors
Editing isn’t just about whether you use FCP or Avid. An artful editor understands the theory and history that came before her. This list provides an introduction to editing philosophy and theory for all aspiring editors.
- Recommended Reading: The 6 Stages of Editing As A Film Director
Learn about the 6 Stages of Editing As A Film Director from Elliot Grove via Raindance Film Festival.
- Recommended Reading: Eight Fundamental Concepts of Sound for Documentary
Learn the eight fundamental concepts of sound for documentary from David Tames of http://kino-eye.com.
- Vimeo Is All About Filmmakers With Its New Self-Distribution Service
Vimeo announced its new self-distribution service on Tuesday, so how does it work? Is it easy to use?