- LEF Foundation Moving Image Fund Deadline This Friday 1/25
Calling New England Filmmakers! Letters of Inquiry (LOIs) for projects requesting production and post-production support from the LEF Foundation are due this Friday, January 25 by 5 PM EST.
- Kickstarter: Tips from Three Successful 2012 Doc Campaigns
If you're thinking about fundraising for your documentary on Kickstarter, here are some words of wisdom from three successful campaigns in 2012.
- POV Hackathon 2: View Eight Web Storytelling Prototypes
View the documentary prototypes made over the span of a single weekend by teams of filmmakers, developers and designers.
- Facebook? Twitter? Help! – Tips and Tricks for Filmmakers on Social Media
It's a new year. Festivals are gearing up again. And you think, how do I market my film on social media? Here is a list of some evergreen tips to get the ball rolling.
- A Couple Filmmaker Tips for the Pre-Interview
Katie Galloway, Director of 'Better This World,' and Scott Thurman, Director of 'The Revisionaries,' share some tips on getting the most out of interviews when the camera's not on.
- Practical Tips for Pitching to a Funder
When pitching to a potential funder there are a lot of common traps that filmmakers fall into. Here is a list of 9 practical tips that every filmmaker should consider when preparing to pitch.
- POV Hackathon Submission Tips for Filmmakers
What makes a great POV Hackathon application? (And what makes a bad one?) POV Digital Director Adnaan Wasey offers tips for would-be storytelling innovators.
- Seed&Spark: Introducing a New Platform and Ecosystem for Independent Film
This Saturday, December 1, Seed&Spark will roll out its platform, aiming to provide a whole new ecosystem for the funding and distribution of independent films.
- Ken Burns on the “Ken Burns Effect”
Ask anyone what they think of when you mention his name, and they'll refer to the Ken Burns Effect, that technique he employs in all his films whereby the camera pans over sideways and then zooms in.
- A Visit to Kartemquin Films: Uncovering a Documentary Technology Trove
Some of the older filmmaking technologies in use and in storage at Kartemquin represent important markers in documentary production history.
- A Visit to Kartemquin Films: An Inside Look at a Corner Documentary Production Studio
This post is the first in a series about my visit to the documentary production powerhouse Kartemquin Films.
- Writing The WGA Doc Screenplay Winner 'Better This World'
Katie Galloway and Kelly Duane de la Vega, who won the WGA Best Documentary Screenplay award for Better This World earlier this year, explain what it means to "write" a doc.
- Do Documentary Filmmakers Deserve Screenwriting Credit?
Documentarians write while preparing a film and editing it, but there's little writing that makes it into many kinds of nonfiction. What do you think?
- Introducing the Sony NEX-EA50
Edward J. Delaney provides a quick overview of the new Sony NEX-EA50, which has started to shrink the price gap between HDSLR cameras and large camcorders.
- Five Insights on Hacking Films from the Software Developers Who've Done It
Before the POV Hackathon got underway, mentors and veteran engineers shared with the teams some advice born of experience. Here's what they were told...
- POV Hackathon: Five Documentary Prototypes From a Weekend of Hacking
View the prototypes from POV Hackathon: Participate in an online debate with film characters, browse a documentary cookbook, find new meaning in numbers from news headlines, be moved by audio storytelling powered by live news and events, and explore the multimedia branches of a film from 1984.
- Three Things to Know About Yourself Before Hiring a Transmedia Designer
After beginning a transmedia project for her new documentary, filmmaker Liz Nord has some short and easy tips to think about before you hire a transmedia designer for your own project.
- Game Design and Making Docs: There’s More in Common Than You Might Think
At first glance, game design — even game design with a social change mission — seems unrelated to the world of documentary work. But last week's Game for Change Festival revealed that socially-minded game designers and documentarians are grappling with many of the same issues.