- 2013 Robert Flaherty Film Seminar Fellowship Program – Deadline to Apply 3/1
The 59th Flaherty Seminar, "History is What's Happening," is accepting applications.
- Women of Transmedia
Liz Nord profiles eight of the trailblazing women she's learned from while making her own transmedia documentary.
- Dear Mandela: A South African Film Finds an American Audience
Dara Kell shares her experience self-distributing the documentary Dear Mandela. The film airs on Black Public Media's AfroPoP on Tuesday, January 29, 2013.
- My Brooklyn: Replicating Their Model in Your Community
Kelly Anderson, Director of "My Brooklyn", sheds insight into her successful community engagement strategy.
- LEF Foundation Moving Image Fund Deadline This Friday 1/25
Calling New England Filmmakers! Letters of Inquiry (LOIs) for projects requesting production and post-production support from the LEF Foundation are due this Friday, January 25 by 5 PM EST.
- Kickstarter: Tips from Three Successful 2012 Doc Campaigns
If you're thinking about fundraising for your documentary on Kickstarter, here are some words of wisdom from three successful campaigns in 2012.
- POV Hackathon 2: View Eight Web Storytelling Prototypes
View the documentary prototypes made over the span of a single weekend by teams of filmmakers, developers and designers.
- Facebook? Twitter? Help! – Tips and Tricks for Filmmakers on Social Media
It's a new year. Festivals are gearing up again. And you think, how do I market my film on social media? Here is a list of some evergreen tips to get the ball rolling.
- A Couple Filmmaker Tips for the Pre-Interview
Katie Galloway, Director of 'Better This World,' and Scott Thurman, Director of 'The Revisionaries,' share some tips on getting the most out of interviews when the camera's not on.
- Practical Tips for Pitching to a Funder
When pitching to a potential funder there are a lot of common traps that filmmakers fall into. Here is a list of 9 practical tips that every filmmaker should consider when preparing to pitch.
- POV Hackathon Submission Tips for Filmmakers
What makes a great POV Hackathon application? (And what makes a bad one?) POV Digital Director Adnaan Wasey offers tips for would-be storytelling innovators.
- Seed&Spark: Introducing a New Platform and Ecosystem for Independent Film
This Saturday, December 1, Seed&Spark will roll out its platform, aiming to provide a whole new ecosystem for the funding and distribution of independent films.
- Ken Burns on the “Ken Burns Effect”
Ask anyone what they think of when you mention his name, and they'll refer to the Ken Burns Effect, that technique he employs in all his films whereby the camera pans over sideways and then zooms in.
- A Visit to Kartemquin Films: Uncovering a Documentary Technology Trove
Some of the older filmmaking technologies in use and in storage at Kartemquin represent important markers in documentary production history.
- A Visit to Kartemquin Films: An Inside Look at a Corner Documentary Production Studio
This post is the first in a series about my visit to the documentary production powerhouse Kartemquin Films.
- Writing The WGA Doc Screenplay Winner 'Better This World'
Katie Galloway and Kelly Duane de la Vega, who won the WGA Best Documentary Screenplay award for Better This World earlier this year, explain what it means to "write" a doc.
- Do Documentary Filmmakers Deserve Screenwriting Credit?
Documentarians write while preparing a film and editing it, but there's little writing that makes it into many kinds of nonfiction. What do you think?
- Introducing the Sony NEX-EA50
Edward J. Delaney provides a quick overview of the new Sony NEX-EA50, which has started to shrink the price gap between HDSLR cameras and large camcorders.