- POV Hackathon: Five Documentary Prototypes From a Weekend of Hacking
View the prototypes from POV Hackathon: Participate in an online debate with film characters, browse a documentary cookbook, find new meaning in numbers from news headlines, be moved by audio storytelling powered by live news and events, and explore the multimedia branches of a film from 1984.
- Three Things to Know About Yourself Before Hiring a Transmedia Designer
After beginning a transmedia project for her new documentary, filmmaker Liz Nord has some short and easy tips to think about before you hire a transmedia designer for your own project.
- Game Design and Making Docs: There's More in Common Than You Might Think
At first glance, game design — even game design with a social change mission — seems unrelated to the world of documentary work. But last week's Game for Change Festival revealed that socially-minded game designers and documentarians are grappling with many of the same issues.
- POV's 25th Anniversary
In 2012, POV celebrates 25 years of broadcasting on PBS!
- Lightworks Looks to Grab a Tier of New Editors With Its PC-Based NLE
In the weeks since the non-linear editor Lightworks V11 was made available for download, the product has earned its share of likers and dislikers. Lightshare shares its plans for the product with blogger Edward J. Delaney.
- 5 Reasons Why My Next Film Is Coming to the Web First
Filmmaker Liz Nord (Jericho’s Echo: Punk Rock In The Holy Land) is embracing transmedia as she produces her new documentary (and web project), Battle for Jerusalem.
- Awaiting the Official Release of Lightworks, a $60 PC-Based Non-Linear Editor
Has Apple's shift to Final Cut Pro X, and the dissatisfaction of a legion of editors, created a market opening for this PC-based nonlinear editing system?
- Theo Rigby on Prototyping 'Immigrant Nation' at Hot Hacks (Part Two)
Theo Rigby (Sin País (Without Country)) is taking his next project to the web, and he’s blogging about his experience. In this post, Rigby reveals the Immigrant Nation prototype, a product of a weekend of "hacking" with Mozilla developers in Toronto.
- 6 Golden Rules for Filmmakers on Social Media
What's the best way to ensure success online? Read six tips for engaging your audience from Elisabeth Holm (Kickstarter), Gary Hustwit (Helvetica), Julie La'Bassiere (FilmBuff) and Mike Knowlton (StoryCode, Murmur).
- Getting Your Film on Public Television: A Twitter Chat with POV Series Producer Yance Ford
Join the #docchat Twitter chat on Wednesday, April 25, 2012, at 7 PM Eastern. POV Series Producer Yance Ford will answer questions about how filmmakers can navigate the public TV submission process.
- POV's Annual Call for Entries is Now Open!
The PBS documentary series POV is seeking independent nonfiction films for broadcast in 2013 and beyond. Submit your film by Friday, June 29, 2012.
- Blackmagic's Cinema Camera: The Trusty Capture-Card Maker Introduces a Film-Look Video Camera
Blackmagic's new camera, announced at NAB 2012, signals a shift in camera manufacturing from traditional camcorder companies to ones with file-processing expertise.
- Framing and the Art of Documentary
Arguably, making art is easier when its makers have complete control over process and product. But what happens when you throw the messiness of reality into the mix?
- What DIY Film Distributors Can Learn from the Launch of the Joffrey Documentary
Sheri Candler and Jon Reiss offered tips for getting a documentary to a niche group of viewers who might not be found through a traditional film distribution channel.
- Introducing the Digital Bolex
The Digital Bolex, a 2K camera that shoots 24p and costs around $3,000, is set to be introduced later this year.
- Considering Upgrading? Is It Four Times Better?
The simple rule that can help documentary filmmakers decide whether that new gadget is worth it.
- Adobe Youth Voices Announces the Aspire Awards for Youth Media Makers
We’re excited to share the news about the Adobe Youth Voices Aspire Awards, a dynamic opportunity for youth around the globe to submit their most compelling work to an international media competition.
- Cell-Phone Documentaries: Films & Tools
Apple's iPhone 4 has sparked a new industry of smartphone filmmaking.