- The Iran Job & Tips for Managing a Viral Fundraising Campaign
On Monday, a documentary about an American basketball player in Iran ended a 50-day campaign that generated $100,000 in donations at the buzzer on Kickstarter after major media hits with CNN, The Huffington Post and The Wall Street Journal. The Iran Job's Till Schauder tells Adam Schartoff how his team managed the campaign.
- Kickstarter Campaign Secrets from Record-Breaking Documentary Director Jennifer Fox
Jennifer Fox raised a record-breaking $150,000 on Kickstarter - the most raised for a finished film and the most per donor. Watch the interview with Fox to find out how she did it.
- 2012: What's In Store for The Filmmaking 99 Percent
A look forward at the technology that will define independent documentary filmmaking in 2012.
- 12 Small-Town Documentary Film Festivals for 2012
A roundup of the nation's best small-town film festivals (with populations less than 100,000) for escaping the crowds, paparazzi and hype.
- RED is Shipping Scarlet-X Digital Video Cameras (Three Years Too Late)
First announced in 2008, RED's new 4K camera has a lot of competition in the documentary gear marketplace.
- Pros Leave FCPX – Where Are They Heading?
The 'X' in Final Cut Pro was supposed to mean '10,' but it seems as if for a lot of professional editors, it's become the equivalent of 'NOT.'
- Doc Soup: Should Aspiring Documentary Filmmakers Go To Film School?
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston tackles the age-old question with input from self-taught filmmaker Matt Morris, professional doc director Brent Huffman, and Jan Krawitz, the head of Stanford's documentary MFA program.
- The Elusive 'General' Audience
In a second post in a series on finding an audience for your documentary, Edward J. Delaney looks at how an emphasis on your film's storyline can help you grow your audience beyond a small core of fans.
- Cultivating Micro-Audiences
Edward J. Delaney explains how to use the Pyramid of Audience Interest to define and expand your doc's niche audience.
- Dynamo, Distrify & Distribber: Documentarians Test New Tools for Direct Distribution Online
The filmmakers behind the documentaries Until the Light Takes Us and Wake Up share their experiences with DIY video-on-demand.
- Final Cut Pro X: Filmmakers Remain Skeptical
We asked you, our blog-reading filmmakers, for thoughts about Final Cut Pro X, the latest edition of Apple's popular editing software, and how you're making the decision to upgrade, switch or stick with what you've got.
- I Have $5,000… What's the Ideal Documentary Kit?
Indie filmmakers offer tips for building a documentary kit on a budget in this guest post from DocumentaryTech's Edward J. Delaney.
- How Much Money Does It Really Take to Make a Documentary?
In the wake of America's credit rating downgrade and a day after a 600-plus-point drop in the Dow, Edward J. Delaney of DocumentaryTech looks at how the documentary-film economy is changing rapidly.
- 'Senna' Director Asif Kapadia
Senna, the first documentary from BAFTA award-winning fiction film director Asif Kapadia, uses archival footage exclusively to create an enthralling tribute to Brazilian Formula One racing star Ayrton Senna. Kapadia discusses the film and countering the "reckless reputation" of its star.
- Panoramic Video Tools Enable a New Storytelling Dimension
Watch 360-degree video that has already made its mark in the ad world and in music videos, and find out about two new tools that could soon bring panoramic video capabilities to the masses.
- Game On: Zach Wise on How Video Games Are Influencing Documentaries
Documentarians are taking cues from video games to expand their audience and tell new kinds of stories. Multimedia producer Zach Wise offers thoughts on "gamification" for independent filmmakers.
- Project VoiceScape: Grant-Winning Teens Tackle Tough Topics
Project VoiceScape, a collaboration between Adobe Youth Voices, PBS and POV, recently awarded 15 $2,000 filmmaking grants to 22 emerging young talents from around the country. Project VoiceScape editorial committee member Jessica Lee tells us about some of the challenges she faced in awarding the grants and what we can expect next from the filmmaker-finalists.
- Project VoiceScape: Meet the Filmmaker-Finalists and a Stellar Group of Documentary Mentors
The Project VoiceScape filmmaker-finalists are now in production working toward an October showcase, with mentorship from some of the best documentary filmmakers we know. Meet the filmmakers and their mentors!