- POV's 2017 Call for Entries Is Now Open!
Films submitted to this open call will be considered for the 2017 broadcast season and beyond. The deadline for submission is Thursday, June 30, 2016.
- The Vanishing of the Director of 'The Vanquishing of the Witch Baba Yaga'
"Real life trumped the rest." Tom Roston sets out to learn why 'The Vanquishing of the Witch Baba Yaga' filmmaker Jessica Oreck has taken a step back from the documentary film world.
- PBS National Listening Tour News Round-Up
After the final stop of the PBS National Listening Tour, POV offers this round-up of organizations and individuals lending their voice to the conversation.
- Remembering Documentary Pioneer Albert Maysles
Tom Roston remembers veteran documentarian and mentor Albert Maysles.
- Linklater, Like Flaherty Before Him
Like Flaherty, Linklater is pioneering a new form in film.
- Our Ethical Dilemma / Nuestro Dilema Ético
Filmmaker Pamela Yates finds out she got a scene in her film When the Mountains Tremble wrong, and returns to Guatemala to investigate. Read and watch in English and Spanish.
- Tabitha Jackson Shifts Sundance Institute's Documentary Focus Towards Aesthetics
Doc Soup Man talks with Sundance Institute's documentary program director, Tabitha Jackson, who says she wants make sure "that the doors are opened more widely" for artistic expression in documentary filmmaking.
- Enter the Edit: Niels Pagh Andersen and Colin Nusbaum
"There are a couple films in my career that changed me, not only as an editor, but as a human being... I think The Act of Killing absolutely is one of them." - Niels Pagh Andersen
- Parenting from Both Sides of the Camera
On a motherless, motherful Mother's Day, filmmaker Judith Helfand reflects on what she has learned on both sides of the camera from her mother Florence (of Healthy Baby Girl fame), who died this past September.
- #docchat: How I Made My First Documentary – Join POV's Twitter Chat on April 8
Join POV on Twitter for a #docchat with veteran documentary filmmakers and get their advice for first-time filmmakers on Tuesday, April 8, 1-2 PM ET (10-11 AM PT).
- Creating Multi Camera Sequences in Premiere Pro, Part 2
This article is part of a series of posts from MediaStorm with tips and tricks from their producers’ experience working with Adobe Premiere Pro CC after years of working in Final Cut Pro.
- For Filmmakers: DIY Digital Distribution Platforms
So you've made your film... Now you start the biggest challenge of them all: getting it seen. We've complied a list of digital self-distribution platforms and asked each one why documentary filmmakers should pick their service over all the others.
- Advice to Documentary Filmmakers From Shola Lynch on Balancing Your Personal and Creative Life
In this excerpt from Tell Me Something, filmmaker Shola Lynch shares advice on balancing one's creative and personal life. Edited by Jessica Edwards, Tell Me Something features advice from 60 of the world's best documentary filmmakers.
- Documentary Equipment & Tools Workshop – Watch the Full Video Online
A recap of the #docchat conversation from November 12, 2013, with filmmaker-educators Duy Linh Tu (Columbia University) and Caleb Pike (DSLR Video Shooter).
- Is a Filmmaker's Personal Life Relevant to a Film? Another Look at 'Blood Brother'
Most industry folks try to judge a film purely by what happens between the opening and closing credits -- directors would certainly prefer things that way -- but that's an ideal. Sometimes, we have to look outside the frame.
- Announcing POV's 2013 Documentary Filmmaking Equipment Survey
Are you a documentary filmmaker? Then we want to hear from you! POV is surveying documentarians through October 10, 2013 to create a comprehensive equipment guide - based on what you're actually using in the field.
- Back To School Shopping: Documentary Filmmaker Edition
A back-to-school wishlist from rising sophomore and filmmaker Matthew Seife (Little Steps).
- Struggles: The Making of 'Only the Young'
Filmmaker Elizabeth Mims shares advice for first-time directors as she takes POV behind the scenes of Only the Young.