- Back To School Shopping: Documentary Filmmaker Edition
A back-to-school wishlist from rising sophomore and filmmaker Matthew Seife (Little Steps).
- Struggles: The Making of 'Only the Young'
Filmmaker Elizabeth Mims shares advice for first-time directors as she takes POV behind the scenes of Only the Young.
- POV Kicks Off Dumbo Filmmaker Meetups Next Week with IFP and Dumbo BID
POV will be kicking off the DUMBO Filmmaker Meetup series next Thursday, May 23 from 6:30-8 PM at the POV offices in DUMBO, Brooklyn.
- For Filmmakers: Documentary Filmmaking Resources from POV
Check out our new resource for documentary filmmakers that covers everything from funding opportunities to online video platforms to "engagement" strategists you can hire for your film.
- Standard Three-Camera Interview Setup
MediaStorm provides a comprehensive look at their three-camera setup for interviews, outlining their camera, audio, and light layouts.
- Recommended Reading: Top 10 Twitter Tips for Filmmakers
In 2012, Thom Powers of Stranger Than Fiction gave his biggest tips for filmmakers on Twitter, covering the basics while also providing some great strategy pointers.
- 5 Recommended Reads for Aspiring Editors
Editing isn’t just about whether you use FCP or Avid. An artful editor understands the theory and history that came before her. This list provides an introduction to editing philosophy and theory for all aspiring editors.
- Vimeo Is All About Filmmakers With Its New Self-Distribution Service
Vimeo announced its new self-distribution service on Tuesday, so how does it work? Is it easy to use?
- Pitching 101: When You're in the Room
Paul Pauwels offers some advice for when you are actually in front of a funder giving your documentary pitch.
- Pitching 101: The Ws That Build a Successful Pitch
Paul Pauwels, from the Belgian production company Congoo, shares 7 "W"s that help build a successful pitch.
- Pitching 101: Writing the Pitch, and Other Pitch Preparations
In this first part of a series on pitching, Paul Pauwels offers some overarching advice for preparing your pitch and what to put into writing.
- Sundance 2013: Senior Programmer Caroline Libresco
Part 2 of 2: Tom Roston interviews Sundance Film Festival Senior Programmers David Courier and Caroline Libresco about documentaries to watch out for at this year's festival, which begins today.
- A Couple Filmmaker Tips for the Pre-Interview
Katie Galloway, Director of 'Better This World,' and Scott Thurman, Director of 'The Revisionaries,' share some tips on getting the most out of interviews when the camera's not on.
- Ken Burns on the “Ken Burns Effect”
Ask anyone what they think of when you mention his name, and they'll refer to the Ken Burns Effect, that technique he employs in all his films whereby the camera pans over sideways and then zooms in.
- Introducing a New Documentary Series on the Evolution of Documentary
Tom Roston talks with filmmaker David Van Taylor about his new documentary series To Tell The Truth which aims to cover the evolution of documentary while connecting a broader audience to the genre.
- Writing The WGA Doc Screenplay Winner 'Better This World'
Katie Galloway and Kelly Duane de la Vega, who won the WGA Best Documentary Screenplay award for Better This World earlier this year, explain what it means to "write" a doc.
- Ask Director Erica Scharf About the Documentary 'Up Heartbreak Hill'
Director Erica Scharf of Up Heartbreak Hill will be taking your questions live on Thursday, August 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM Eastern.
- Director Alison Klayman on 'Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry'
Tom Roston talks with Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry director Alison Klayman about the the artist and his reaction to seeing the film.