- Pitching 101: The Ws That Build a Successful Pitch
Paul Pauwels, from the Belgian production company Congoo, shares 7 "W"s that help build a successful pitch.
- Pitching 101: Writing the Pitch, and Other Pitch Preparations
In this first part of a series on pitching, Paul Pauwels offers some overarching advice for preparing your pitch and what to put into writing.
- Sundance 2013: Senior Programmer Caroline Libresco
Part 2 of 2: Tom Roston interviews Sundance Film Festival Senior Programmers David Courier and Caroline Libresco about documentaries to watch out for at this year's festival, which begins today.
- A Couple Filmmaker Tips for the Pre-Interview
Katie Galloway, Director of 'Better This World,' and Scott Thurman, Director of 'The Revisionaries,' share some tips on getting the most out of interviews when the camera's not on.
- Ken Burns on the “Ken Burns Effect”
Ask anyone what they think of when you mention his name, and they'll refer to the Ken Burns Effect, that technique he employs in all his films whereby the camera pans over sideways and then zooms in.
- Introducing a New Documentary Series on the Evolution of Documentary
Tom Roston talks with filmmaker David Van Taylor about his new documentary series To Tell The Truth which aims to cover the evolution of documentary while connecting a broader audience to the genre.
- Writing The WGA Doc Screenplay Winner 'Better This World'
Katie Galloway and Kelly Duane de la Vega, who won the WGA Best Documentary Screenplay award for Better This World earlier this year, explain what it means to "write" a doc.
- Ask Director Erica Scharf About the Documentary 'Up Heartbreak Hill'
Director Erica Scharf of Up Heartbreak Hill will be taking your questions live on Thursday, August 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM Eastern.
- Director Alison Klayman on 'Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry'
Tom Roston talks with Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry director Alison Klayman about the the artist and his reaction to seeing the film.
- Catching Up With Ian Cheney of 'The City Dark'
In July 2012, POV caught up with filmmaker Ian Cheney of 'The City Dark' to find out how the film has been received, and changes he's seen people making in order to combat light pollution.
- An Independent in Wonderland
In 1988, Documentary Magazine featured an article written by Marc Weiss, POV's series creator and then executive producer, during POV's first year on PBS. Read what he had to say about getting the series off the ground and on public broadcasting.
- My Wish List for the Documentary Community
While others are organizing their list of gifts this holiday season, guest blogger Heather McIntosh provides her own list of wishes for the collective documentary community.
- Game On: Zach Wise on How Video Games Are Influencing Documentaries
Documentarians are taking cues from video games to expand their audience and tell new kinds of stories. Multimedia producer Zach Wise offers thoughts on "gamification" for independent filmmakers.
- Critical Acclaim for 'Enemies of the People': Watch it Tonight
Critics have been singing the praises of Enemies of the People
, an enthralling new documentary that provides an unprecedented and unflinching account of Cambodia's genocide under the Khmer Rouge.
- To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?: Final Cut Pro X
With the release of Apple's Final Cut Pro X, editors and production houses are weighing in on their editing software options.
- Dispatch from South Korea: Discovering Docs at the INPUT 2011 Public Media Conference
Theresa Riley reports on her experience attending this year's public media INPUT conference, held from May 9-12, 2011 in Seoul, South Korea.
- Project VoiceScape Update
To All Project VoiceScape Applicants: Once again, thank you for your submissions. We’re really impressed with the number of high-quality applications and have some tough decisions to make — so tough, in fact, that we’re adjusting the project schedule so we can give another few weeks to the review process. We’ll be notifying everyone with […]
- POV's Project VoiceScape Submissions Now Under Review
Project VoiceScape is a partnership with Adobe Youth Voices, PBS and POV to mentor today’s best young documentary filmmakers. Our 2011 Project VoiceScape call for entries closed last week and we would like to thank the hundreds of talented youth filmmakers across the country who submitted their great documentary ideas for funding consideration! We received […]