- Doc Memo: Trans Film at Human Rights Watch Fest, Successful Syrian Teen Filmmaker
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- POV Among New Fledgling Fund Grantees
POV is thrilled to be a part of an inspiring class of new Fledgling Fund grantees.
- 7 Funding Tricks from 7 Documentary Filmmakers
POV's Story Doctor Fernanda Rossi has been probing successful filmmakers about their budgets for the last few months. Here's what she's learned...
- With DOC RED, A Hope for Mexican Documentary Filmmakers
Faced with limited distribution options, Mexico's documentary filmmakers have banded together. POV Intern and DOC RED member Melissa Saucedo reports back from a recent meeting.
- For Filmmakers: Documentary Filmmaking Resources from POV
Check out our new resource for documentary filmmakers that covers everything from funding opportunities to online video platforms to "engagement" strategists you can hire for your film.
- LEF Foundation Moving Image Fund Deadline This Friday 1/25
Calling New England Filmmakers! Letters of Inquiry (LOIs) for projects requesting production and post-production support from the LEF Foundation are due this Friday, January 25 by 5 PM EST.
- May 31: Navigating Funding and Broadcast Opportunities in Public Television
Join POV and ITVS for a forum about funding and broadcast opportunities for independents in New York City on May 31, 2012.
- Documentary Year in Review Countdown #12: Ford Foundation Funds Webified Documentaries
POV is counting down the top documentary stories of 2011 on New Year's Eve 2012.
- My Wish List for the Documentary Community
While others are organizing their list of gifts this holiday season, guest blogger Heather McIntosh provides her own list of wishes for the collective documentary community.
- How Much Money Does It Really Take to Make a Documentary?
In the wake of America's credit rating downgrade and a day after a 600-plus-point drop in the Dow, Edward J. Delaney of DocumentaryTech looks at how the documentary-film economy is changing rapidly.
- DOCNYC Report: Is Crowd Sourcing the Future?
Jamie Dobie is POV’s community engagement and education coordinator. She reports from the DOC NYC “State of the Industry” panel that took place on Wednesday, November 3, where she found a lively discussion about social media and engaging communities. The First Annual DOC NYC opened its doors Wednesday afternoon to documentary professionals and an […]
- Doc Soup: The Documentary 'Power' List: Part I
As promised, I’m delivering my list of the most powerful people in documentaries. I have come up with 50, but this week I’m going to build some dramatic tension by presenting 40 out of the 50, leaving the top 10 to come next week. Is this a definitive list? No. It’s more of an impression. […]
- Weekly Roundup
This week, we catch up with Rocky from Bronx Princess, get ready for the Cinema Eye Awards, read through lots of year-end and decade-end lists of best docs and more. CNN’s “Inside Africa” aired a segment on Bronx Princess (POV 2009) and talked to protagonist Rocky Otoo and her mother, Auntie Yaa. The film follows […]
- Sundance Institute Documentary Film Program Announces Fall 2009 Grants
The Sundance Institute announced yesterday that they are awarding grants to 23 nonfiction film projects that will receive financial and creative support from the Sundance Documentary Film Program (DFP). One of the projects is directed by POV alum, Bernardo Ruiz, who co-produced Alex Rivera’s The Sixth Section (POV 2003) and worked on the first installment […]