- Remembering Documentary Pioneer Albert Maysles
Tom Roston remembers veteran documentarian and mentor Albert Maysles.
- Introducing a New Documentary Series on the Evolution of Documentary
Tom Roston talks with filmmaker David Van Taylor about his new documentary series To Tell The Truth which aims to cover the evolution of documentary while connecting a broader audience to the genre.
- Albert Maysles and Bradley Kaplan on the Post-9/11 Paul McCartney Doc 'The Love We Make'
Legendary filmmaker Albert Maysles reflects on what led him to become a vérité filmmaker and connections between his new doc and the seminal Salesman.
- Doc Soup: The 10 Most Unforgettable Moments in Documentary History
Independent journalist Tom Roston checks in with a list of moments that remind us why we love documentaries. What would top your list?
- Doc Soup: Werner Herzog: 'I am the director'
Who is the director? Albert Maysles and Werner Herzog take two positions after DOC NYC's opening night premiere of Herzog's doc Into the Abyss.
- The Fate of Documentary?
In a response to a New York Press essay about the current state of documentaries, guest blogger Heather McIntosh of Documentary Site offers a second view, that documentaries are thriving and always have.
- Doc Soup: The 10 Greatest Rockumentaries of All Time (Okay, This List Goes to 11!)
Love is blind. So is our taste in music. And that also logically applies to lists of one's favorite rockumentaries. So, yes, this list is subjective. And I'm going to reinforce that point by illustrating why some of these films are important to me. I hope you will share your favorite rockumentaries — personal reminiscences encouraged! — in the comments section below.