- Doc Memo: 21st Century's Top Films (So Far), HBO to Premiere Charlie Hebdo Doc
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- The Breakdown of Sundance Documentary Deals
What goes into a documentary distribution deal during a major film festival?
- Hollywood's Opportunity for a Referendum on Scientology
Alex Gibney's documentary Going Clear is giving Hollywood the chance to say, "This Scientology crap isn't what we're about."
- CMSI Asks: Is Public TV Different?
A CMSI audit of documentary series on commercial and public TV has found that the most diverse documentary series on TV are Independent Lens and POV, public TV series.
- Lucy Walker's 'The Lion's Mouth Open' and Confronting Huntington's Disease
Where do we draw the line between being movie watchers and empathetic human beings when viewing a documentary about the fate of someone's life? Tom Roston reflects on Lucy Walker's short documentary The Lion's Mouth Opens, premiering on HBO Documentaries.
- And Now A Word NOT From Our Sponsors
Tom Roston wonders if a sponsor-love scene in HBO Documentaries' The Crash Reel qualifies as product placement, and goes to filmmaker Lucy Walker to investigate.
- Life Is But a Dream: Beyoncé's Red Carpet Documentary Premiere
Tom Roston's new found admiration for Beyoncé takes him to the premiere of her new HBO documentary, "Beyoncé: Life is But a Dream." But is the film any good?
- Oscar 2012: Predicting the Documentary Winners
Who will win? Doc Soup Man has picked it for four years running. But this year, he says, is one of the closest races in years.