- Predicting the Oscars' Best Documentary Nominees
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston predicts this year's Oscar nominations for Best Documentary. He's been on target before... will he get it right again?
- Oscar 2013: Can Anything Overtake Sugar Man?
It’s as close to a lock on the Oscar winner as we’ve had in years. Everyone else is saying that 'Searching for Sugar Man' will win, so, just for the sake of keeping things lively, Tom Roston gives the race a second thought.
- Fire in the Blood: A Must-See Film at Sundance
Tom Roston spells out why 'Fire in the Blood' should be on everyone's must-see doc list at Sundance this year.
- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2012
Find out what films made it to the top of Doc Soup Man's list this year! From advocacy films, to those lauded for their artistry and cinematography, the list is just a small sampling of the great doc year that was 2012.
- Reviewing the 2013 Oscar Shortlist
Tom Roston takes a look at this years docs which are contenders for Academy nominations, referencing that the list proves it was a strong year for documentaries.
- The Greatest Documentaries of All Time: David France on 'Southern Comfort'
"In someone else’s hands, this story could have been a horror of exploitation. There were so many perils in this material. But Kate Davis shows us the power of film to humanize and radicalize."
- Director David France on 'How to Survive a Plague'
Director David France’s documentary is a riveting chronicle of activism around the AIDS crisis and its legacy.
- My Five Favorite Documentaries from True/False Film Fest 2012
Tom Roston recaps the Midwestern film festival True/False, where he saw a slate of inspiring documentaries including How to Survive a Plague, The Imposter, Bully, Searching for Sugar Man and Undefeated.