- How to Program the Largest Documentary Festival in North America
For Hot Docs Director of Programming Shane Smith, putting together an engaging, diverse film festival is no easy task, and he wouldn't want it any other way.
- Announcing the POV Hackathon 9 Participants' Choice Award Winners…
In Your Own Words: Understanding The Troubles wins the POV Hackathon 9 Participants' Choice Award -- voted on by all team members at Chicago Innovation Exchange on August 16, 2015. See all the projects and prototypes, coming soon to the POV Blog.
- POV Nominated for 13 News & Documentary Emmy Awards
'After Tiller', 'American Promise,' 'Big Men' Receive Multiple Nominations, Including Best Documentary; POV Digital Receives First Nomination for an Interactive Documentary
- How to Add Video and Text to 3D 360-Degree Video with the WebVR Starter Kit
Check out this example using 3D 360-degree video along with live-generated text for subtitles.
- A Virtual Camera for Interactive Documentaries, Inspired by Side-Scrolling Video Games
This new open-source code library creates a virtual camera that can zoom and dolly inside interactive web-based experiences.
- Who Are The Champions? FIFA World Cup Through the Eyes of People on the Street
Who Are The Champions? from the Submarine Channel explores the impact of the FIFA World Cup through the stories of people on the streets of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Johannesburg, South Africa, and Leipzig, Germany.
- POV Interactive Documentaries Nominated for a 2015 Webby Award!
POV Interactive Shorts are up for a 2015 Webby Award and we need your help to win!
- A Curious App to Consume, Sort Of
A new app brings together a series of materials about the ideas of consuming and being consumed.
- Dressing Up the Computer's Story for an iPad App
iPad apps make for an interesting way to explore interactive documentary, and The Computer Wore Heels offers an engaging story about women's contributions during World War II.
- Dispatches from IDFA: A Conversation with DocLab Architect Caspar Sonnen
Kel O'Neill (of Jongsma + O'Neill) sits down with IDFA DocLab creator Caspar Sonnen to discuss DocLab, digital storytelling, and the 'medium' of interactive documentaries — if it can be defined as a 'medium' at all.
- Join 'Whiteness Project' Creator Whitney Dow for a Reddit AMA on Thursday, November 13
Whitney Dow took questions -- unfiltered -- about issues of race in America and the interactive documentary that has brought everyday white Americans into the racial discussion on Reddit.
- Smart Cropping for Video: A Tool for Displaying Video at Any Aspect Ratio
With ubiquitous availability of video in mobile and desktop browsers, letterbox may no longer be the best way to adapt a viewers experience to the content.
- Getting Ready for a Year of Experimentation (“No Predictions” Edition)
New capabilities demand new conventions for communicating with viewers as well as new processes for authors.
- Quebec's Digital Storytelling Manifesto
At IDFA 2013, digital storytellers from Quebec released a 10-point manifesto to both define "les nouvelles écritures" as an art form and to serve as a call for support from policymakers.
- Interact with Web Documentary Prototypes from DocMontevideo Hackathon
DocMontevideo held their first Hackathon in Montevideo, Uruguay in July 2013. Interact with the web documentary prototypes made by three teams of filmmakers and technologists from Argentina, Uruguay and Chile.
- Hollow: An Interactive Documentary Made While In School, But It's No Student Film
How do you balance grad school with production of your documentary? Elaine McMillion takes POV inside the creation of Hollow and offers lessons for students.
- POV Hackathon Submission Tips for Filmmakers
What makes a great POV Hackathon application? (And what makes a bad one?) POV Digital Director Adnaan Wasey offers tips for would-be storytelling innovators.
- Announcing POV Hackathon 2 – January 12-13, 2013
Bold filmmakers with a digital vision need apply! The POV Hackathon 2 Call for Participants is now open. Apply by Friday, December 7, 2012.