- Viewers' Revelatory Reactions to 'Where Soldiers Come From'
A selection of comments about our most recent broadcast.
- Albert Maysles and Bradley Kaplan on the Post-9/11 Paul McCartney Doc 'The Love We Make'
Legendary filmmaker Albert Maysles reflects on what led him to become a vérité filmmaker and connections between his new doc and the seminal Salesman.
- From Occupy Wall Street Protester to Live Documentarian
Thorin Caristo, an amateur cameraman, joined the Occupy Wall Street movement on Day One as a protester, but he was quickly persuaded to join its media team. Now livestreaming videos around the clock from Zuccotti Park, Caristo lets us in on how he's documenting a burgeoning social-media uprising.
- 'Bombay Beach' Director Alma Har'el
Guest blogger Adam Schartoff talks with the director of Bombay Beach, a documentary that follows the inhabitants of a surreal community on the edge of California's Salton Sea who occasionally break into dance.
- Director Danfung Dennis on 'Hell and Back Again'
Danfung Dennis talks to blogger Adam Schartoff about how a documentary about combat in Afghanistan became a documentary about coming home from war, making the transition from photojournalist to filmmaker, and the impact of Tim Hetherington's death.
- 'Limelight' Director Billy Corben (Video)
The director of Cocaine Cowboys turns his focus on New York City club impresario Peter Gatien in his new documentary. In a video interview, Corben talks about finding and using dark humor in his films about serious subjects.
- Zachary Levy Shows Sensitive Side of 'Strongman'
The director of the self-distributed documentary (opening in New York City on Friday, September 23, 2011), talks about the film and his vérité influences.
- 'American Teacher' and the Challenges of Finding a Few to Speak For the Many
Filmmaker Vanessa Roth explains how she selected four teachers to represent the nation's 3.2 million in her new documentary, American Teacher, which opens in NY and LA on September 30, 2011.
- 'The Oath' Streams Online, Director Laura Poitras Joins Live Chat with PBS NewsHour for 9/11 Anniversary
Watch The Oath online during Sept. 2011 on the POV website, and join a live chat about post-9/11 documentaries with Academy Award-nominated director Laura Poitras September 12 at 2 PM ET (11 AM PT).
- 'Resurrect Dead' Director Jon Foy Tells the Sundance Story of his First Film
How does a confused first-time filmmaker get to Sundance and come back with its documentary directing prize? Adam Schartoff talks to Jon Foy about Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles, on VOD now and opening Friday, September 2, 2011, in New York City.
- 'Senna' Director Asif Kapadia
Senna, the first documentary from BAFTA award-winning fiction film director Asif Kapadia, uses archival footage exclusively to create an enthralling tribute to Brazilian Formula One racing star Ayrton Senna. Kapadia discusses the film and countering the "reckless reputation" of its star.
- A Conversation with Steve James, Director of 'The Interrupters'
James discusses the film, his multi-award-winning Hoop Dreams and what he's learned from following film subjects over years.
- A Conversation with 'Tabloid' Director Errol Morris
Freelance journalist Adam Schartoff talks with Errol Morris about his new documentary Tabloid, how he knows journalists read his Twitter feed and the technology behind his intimate film interviews.
- BAMcinemaFEST 2011: Charlie Ahearn on 'Jamel Shabazz: Street Photographer'
In a conversation with freelance journalist Adam Schartoff, Charlie Ahearn traces his history as an artist and filmmaker, from his classic hip-hop film Wild Style to his new film, Jamel Shabazz: Street Photographer, which closes BAMcinemaFEST's 2011 documentary line-up in New York City this weekend.
- BAMcinemaFEST 2011: Alison Ellwood on 'Magic Trip'
Freelance journalist Adam Schartoff talks with filmmaker and editor Alison Ellwood, whose new documentary as co-director, Magic Trip, screens at BAMcinemaFEST 2011 in New York City.
- BAMcinemaFEST 2011: Heather Courtney on 'Where Soldiers Come From'
In this dispatch from BAMcinemaFEST 2011, Heather Courtney tells freelance journalist Adam Schartoff how a filmmaking project about her Michigan hometown took a detour to Afghanistan.
- BAMcinemaFEST 2011: Oscar Nominee Marshall Curry on 'If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front'
Freelance journalist Adam Schartoff checks in from BAMcinemaFEST 2011. In this dispatch, Schartoff talks with POV alum Marshall Curry about his new documentary, which leads the festival's nonfiction lineup and airs later this summer on POV.
- SXSW Spotlight: 'Better This World' Filmmakers Q&A
POV veteran filmmaker Katie Galloway (Prison Town, USA, POV 2007) and Kelly Duane de la Vega will be premiering their new film, Better This World (POV 2011) at the South by Southwest Film Festival this weekend in Austin, Texas. The story of Bradley Crowder and David McKay, who were accused of intending to firebomb the […]