- Featured Event: KUED and Sorenson Unity Center Present 'From This Day Forward'
Join KUED and Sorenson Unity Center for a free screening of 'From This Day Forward.'
- Doc Memo: New Doc on Importance of Non-Gendered Clothing, Interview with Filmmaker Penny Lane
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- 5 Films to Celebrate LGBT Pride Month
POV takes a look at a number of films from our archive that shed light on the ongoing issues related to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.
- Community Spotlight: IMPACT New Mexico
Community Engagement and Education Intern Camille Borders asked Executive Director Alena Schaim eight questions about community organizing and her thoughts on the film.
- Documentary Streaming Free for MLK Day: 'Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin'
Long before Martin Luther King Jr. became a national figure, Bayard Rustin routinely put himself on the line as a crusader for racial justice. But he was also seen as a political liability because he was gay.
- 'Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin' Streaming Free – But Only For Two Days!
Watch the POV film that documents the Civil Rights Movement activist. Wednesday and Thursday (August 28-29, 2013) on POV's website.
- Now Streaming: Girl Model, Scout's Honor, Granito, A Perfect Candidate, and 4 Shorts from the PBS Online Film Festival
POV now has four great feature-length documentaries streaming for free on its website: Scout's Honor, Granito: How to Nail a Dictator, When the Mountains Tremble, and A Perfect Candidate.
- PBS Online Film Festival: Watch 'This Gay and Age'
Your votes will determine the People's Choice Winner in PBS's first-ever Online Film Festival! Watch an award-winning documentary short by teen filmmaker Morgan Wilcock, who examines the stereotypes that bombard today's LGBT youth.
- Project Voicescape Winner to be Featured in PBS Online Film Festival
PBS announced today that the Project Voicescape winner for Best Documentary This Gay and Age will be featured in its selections for its first Online Film Festival.
- Check out 'This Gay and Age' in Observance of Spirit Day!
Observed annually on October 20th, Spirit Day encourages people to show their support for LGBT youth, simply by wearing purple. Check out the 2011 Project Voicescape Best Documentary Award winner This Gay and Age to hear LGBT youth speak about the issues they are faced with.
- Watch “Beyond Hatred” on Tuesday, June 30, 2009
The second film of the 2009 season is entirely in French (with English subtitles), with a slow and meditative pace — and is altogether extraordinary. Beyond Hatred, by Olivier Meyrou, begins two years after the murder of François Chenu. Three skinheads had been roaming a park in Rheims, France, looking to “do an Arab,” when […]
- Remembering 'Tongues Untied'
Yance Ford, POV’s series producer, muses on Tongues Untied, a landmark POV film and one of the most controversial. The film has just been released on DVD by Strand Releasing. Brother to Brother. Brother to Brother. Brother to Brother. Brother to Brother. Five men recite this phrase in staccato rhythm during the hypnotic opening […]
- Annual Academy Award Documentary Winners
The documentary winners of the 80th Annual Academy Awards were announced on Sunday night. Best Documentary Feature Taxi to the Dark Side Alex Gibney and Eva Orner Best Documentary Short Subject Freeheld Cynthia Wade and Vanessa Roth Reactions from the blogosphere are slowly trickling in. First, a shout-out to our own Tom Roston, who was […]
- San Francisco Happening: Remembering Harvey Milk
San Francisco’s Castro neighborhood has undergone a timewarp transformation over the past few days for the filming of Milk, Gus Van Sant‘s new movie based on the life and times of Harvey Milk. Milk was a 1970s-era activist and politician who was named one of Time magazine’s 100 most remarkable people of the 20th century […]
- POV Community Screenings Making an Impact
I ran into Shelby Knox, a passionate young activist, recently in Manhattan. We first got to know each other in 2005 when POV broadcasted The Education of Shelby Knox. Still one of our most requested films by communities across the country — the film follows Shelby, a Southern Baptist high school student from a politically […]