- Doc Apocalypse? Michael Moore and Documentary Box Office Success
Tom Roston sits down with Michael Moore to talk Oscars and documentary box office success.
- March (of the Docs) Madness 2015
Legends, stirring storylines and passionate fans are a few of the commonalities between college basketball and documentary filmmaking. 32 documentary symbols go head to head in our March Madness tournament. Vote now!
- Documentary Filmmakers: You Call That A Trailer?
What's the deal with documentary trailers? Tom Roston considers some of the best and most disappointing doc trailers he's seen and wonders if they're a marketing tool finally on the upswing in the documentary world.
- Oscar 2012: Predicting the Documentary Winners
Who will win? Doc Soup Man has picked it for four years running. But this year, he says, is one of the closest races in years.
- The Elusive 'General' Audience
In a second post in a series on finding an audience for your documentary, Edward J. Delaney looks at how an emphasis on your film's storyline can help you grow your audience beyond a small core of fans.
- Doc Soup: 10 Documentaries About Animals that Every Human Animal Should See
Independent journalist Tom Roston's list of top animal documentaries is sure to ruffle a few feathers. Read Doc Soup Man's mini-reviews then vote for your own favorite!
- Doc Soup: Coincidence or Codes in Nature Docs?
First, there was March of the Penguins, that outrageously successful 2005 nature doc about the life and times of penguins. Because the film’s only stars are penguins, it occurred to me that only human being who shares the, er, bill with them is the film’s narrator, Morgan Freeman. And then that was that. And then […]