- Doc Memo: Mexico's Revolutionary Female Filmmakers, VHS VCR Production to Cease
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- POV Interactive Shorts: Q&A with Theo Rigby (“Immigrant Nation”)
Q&A with Immigrant Nation creator Theo Rigby.
- With DOC RED, A Hope for Mexican Documentary Filmmakers
Faced with limited distribution options, Mexico's documentary filmmakers have banded together. POV Intern and DOC RED member Melissa Saucedo reports back from a recent meeting.
- Play Now: The Reportero Challenge: Do You Have What It Takes?
Do you have what it takes to be the editor of a newspaper in Tijuana, Mexico? Take The Reportero Challenge and find out.
- Critical Acclaim for 'El Velador'
Read what critics have been saying about POV's El Velador, a film about a guard who watches over the extravagant mausoleums of some of Mexico’s most notorious drug lords.
- Video en línea de Reportero extendido a México: 1 al 6 de febrero del 2013
Por tiempo limitado, el público en México podrá ver el video en línea de Reportero completamente gratis. Disponible del 1 al 6 de febrero del 2013.
- POV's 'Reportero' to Stream Free Online in Mexico: Feb. 1-6, 2013
For a limited time, viewers in Mexico will be able to watch the POV documentary Reportero for free online.
- Critical Acclaim for 'Reportero' – Watch It Free Online For A Limited Time
Read what critics and journalists have to say about Reportero, a documentary about a veteran reporter and his colleagues at an independent newsweekly who defy powerful drug cartels and corrupt officials to continue publishing the news.
- Watch 'Reportero' on the PBS Mobile App Starting January 1, 2013!
Just announced! You can watch the critically-acclaimed 'Reportero' starting January 1, 2013 on the PBS app for iPhone and iPad!
- Next on POV: 'Reportero'
Next on POV: The U.S. broadcast premiere of 'Reportero', which follows a veteran reporter and his colleagues at a Tijuana-based independent newsweekly in one of the deadliest places in the world for journalists.
- Giveaway: Win a Copy of Ioan Grillo's 'El Narco: Inside Mexico's Criminal Insurgency'
Enter our giveaway by November 30, 2012, for a chance to win an early holiday gift from POV! Ten lucky POV viewers will win a copy of Ioan Grillo's El Narco: Inside Mexico's Criminal Insurgency.
- El Velador: “After this experience, everything else seems trivial.”
Read what critics have to say about the POV documentary El Velador, which is a poetic and lyrical look at the drug wars in Mexico through the eyes of Martin, a man who watches over the mausoleums that house some of Mexico's most notorious drug lords. Premieres September 27, 2012, on PBS.
- Watch a Sneak Preview of 'El Velador' on Your iPhone or iPad
Just announced! You can now watch Natalia Almada's striking 'El Velador (The Night Watchman)' before the U.S. broadcast premiere on September 27, 2012 on the PBS app for iPhone and iPad!
- Next on POV: 'Presumed Guilty'
Watch the Emmy Award-winning documentary about a man who was in the wrong place at the wrong time by first-time filmmakers who turned into "lawyers with cameras." Presumed Guilty airs Thursday, August 23, 2012, on PBS.
- POV's 'Presumed Guilty' is Subject of Landmark Freedom of Speech and Censorship Case in Mexico
The award-winning Presumed Guilty
has become the highest-grossing documentary in Mexico's history, but last Wednesday, the film was pulled from the theatrical circuit by a federal judge. Another court has now overturned that ruling, but the legal battle continues.
- Weekly Roundup: Presumed Guilty, Streaming Films and Alum News
We’re smack in the middle of POV’s 23rd season — and it’s been a great one so far. Encore presentations The Way We Get By and First Person Plural will be shown on select PBS stations in the next two weeks (check your local listings here). On August 17, we’ll be back with a brand […]
- Doc Soup: Presumed Guilty
I found Presumed Guilty, which airs tonight on POV (10 PM, check local listings), very compelling. It’s the kind of doc that left me with several burning questions — so I decided to follow up with the lawyers-turned-filmmakers directly. Roberto Hernández graciously responded. Doc Soup Man: Since the Thin Blue Line, as far as […]
- Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month With POV
September 15 – October 15 is Hispanic Heritage month! Started in 1968 (as Hispanic Heritage Week), the now month-long observation recognizes the contributions of Hispanic Americans to the United States. September 15th is the anniversary of independence for Costa Rica, El Salvador, Gautemala, Honduras and Nicaragua; Mexico and Chile also celebrate their independence days in […]