- The Spine-Tingling, Eye-Opening Thrill of Morgan Spurlock's Rats
'Rats' invites viewers into a world underneath the gutters and in the shadows.
- Doc Memo: Film Takes Art to New Heights, Chicago International Film Fest At 52
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- Documentaries at the Video Store
By the time I was 20, I had seen only two documentaries in theaters. The first was a special screening of Koyaanisqatsi with a live performance of the music by Phillip Glass, and the other was Michael Moore’s first out-of-left-(literally)-field hit, Roger & Me, in 1989. In other words, they were special events. Any other […]
- Teaching Op-Docs: Starting with the Big Questions
For a junior-level course this semester, I am using The New York Times's Op-Doc series as a model for talking about journalism, documentary, and online video.
- We the Economy
This new online documentary series is striving to explain the economy through 20 short films.
- Giveaway: Win Signed 'Tell Me Something' Book With Advice From 60 of the World's Best Documentary Filmmakers
Tell Me Something features advice from 60 of the world's best documentary filmmakers. Enter to win POV's giveaway of five e-books and two signed books by filmmakers Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me, One Direction: This Is Us) and Albert Maysles (Grey Gardens, Salesman).
- And Now for Something Completely Different…
DocSoup Man raises questions about why Morgan Spurlock, director of Super Size Me, is directing One Direction: This is Us.
- “Tell Me Something” Features Advice From Fifty of the World's Best Documentary Filmmakers
Doc Soup Man interviews Jessica Edwards, editor of "Tell me Something," an in-progress photography and creative advice book from fifty of the world's best documentary filmmakers.
- CNN Films Jumps Into Documentary Fray with Spurlock, Rossi, Bourdain, and More
A look at the new CNN Films banner and some of the documentary and nonfiction programming it will offer.
- Sundance 2013: Blood Brother Finishes Strong Winning Audience Award and Grand Jury Prize
Sundance closed with a bang this weekend, at least for Blood Brother. Will the wins be enough to secure distribution?
- The Morgan Spurlock Brand Goes Mainstream with “Inside Man” on CNN
It was no surprise when it was announced last week that Morgan Spurlock, the director of Super Size Me and several other documentaries, has parlayed his brand into a regular show on CNN.
- Doc Soup Man Presents: A Discussion of Branded Documentaries and Branded Documentarians
Morgan Spurlock isn't the only documentarian who's crossed over into the commercial world. Did you know there's an agency that specializes in bringing that nonfiction touch to a 30-second spot?
- 'More Than A Month' Channels Moore, Spurlock and Woody Allen in Journey to End Black History Month
Edward J. Delaney talks to director Shukree Tilghman about his tongue-in-cheek cross-country campaign (and documentary) to end Black History Month.
- Where Are the First-Person Women Documentarians?
With Tiffany Shlain's personal documentary Connected wrapping up its theatrical run, Doc Soup Man Tom Roston asks why the best known first-person documentarians are men.
- The 2011 Documentary Oscars: My Shortlist
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston proposes an entirely different list of 15 films that could have just as easily been deemed Oscar-worthy.
- Doc Soup: A Documentary Dispatch from the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston recaps the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival and previews films you can hope to see in theaters in the coming months.
- The Fate of Documentary?
In a response to a New York Press essay about the current state of documentaries, guest blogger Heather McIntosh of Documentary Site offers a second view, that documentaries are thriving and always have.
- 5 Things to Consider Before You See '50 Documentaries To See Before You Die'
Independent journalist Tom Roston rates Current TV's new documentary series, hosted by Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me). Warning: This post contains minor series spoilers!