- Doc Memo: Impact-Making Documentaries at Cannes, Q&A with Laura Poitras
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- Take Care, Mr. Elson: Watch the Documentary & Go Behind the Story with Journalists from The New York Times
Emma Cott and Abby Goodnough discuss reporting on the effects of the Affordable Care Act on one chronically ill man in Louisville, Kentucky, and what his story says about the United States healthcare system in 2015.
- Teaching Op-Docs: Finding Ideas for Documentaries
"Where do you get ideas for documentaries?" is the number one question I have received through comments and conversations over the years. Here are some starting points to consider.
- Strangers at Sea: Watch the Documentary and Go Behind the Scenes
Journalist Chris Museler tells POV how he navigated his role as fly on the wall in the high intensity, high stakes New York-Barcelona IMOCA Ocean Masters race onboard with professional sailors Pepe Ribes and Ryan Breymaier.
- The Nipple Artist: Behind the Scenes With Subject Caitlin Kiernan
Caitlin Kiernan, subject of The New York Times documentary "The Nipple Artist," talks to POV about telling her story.
- The Nipple Artist: Watch the Documentary and Go Behind the Scenes
How do breast cancer survivors recapture their sense of self after surgeries, chemotherapy and reconstruction? "The Nipple Artist" by The New York Times tells the story of one woman's journey for closure... and nipples.
- Are Movie Critics and the Documentary Press Too Nice to Documentaries?
Who really wants to knock a filmmakers life work, especially when they probably will not make any money off of it? But, does the film press let too much slide when it comes to docs?
- Do Documentary Filmmakers Deserve Screenwriting Credit?
Documentarians write while preparing a film and editing it, but there's little writing that makes it into many kinds of nonfiction. What do you think?
- The Best Documentaries of 2011 (Updated)
Nerd out to our infographic of the top documentaries of 2011, based on lists from critics, documentary festivals, industry organizations and online voting!
- The Best Documentaries of 2011
According to who you ask, the best documentary of 2011 could have been one of 67 films. Could it be The Interrupters? Nostalgia for the Light? Project Nim? Cave of Forgotten Dreams? We've constructed a handy graphic to help you make your own decision.
- Could Documentaries Form the Core of the Cross-Platform Story Revolution?
As audiences come to expect interaction along with media consumption, "old" media is showing documentarians the potential for video as a tent pole in cross-media storytelling.
- Lynn True: Documentary Filmmaker and Sports Fan
We’ve long admired The New York Times‘ “One in Eight Million” Web series that incorporates photo slideshows of regular New Yorkers with audio interviews. This past week we were excited to see a slideshow about one of POV’s alums! Lynn True is a documentary filmmaker and the editor and co-director of POV’s 2008 film Lumo, […]