- Oscar 2012: Predicting the Documentary Winners
Who will win? Doc Soup Man has picked it for four years running. But this year, he says, is one of the closest races in years.
- Oscar 2012: Watch 'If a Tree Falls' Online at POV, Academy Award Nominee for Best Documentary Feature
The Oscar®-nominated documentary If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front (POV 2011) is streaming for a limited time on POV's website.
- Toward a Cultural Institution Dedicated to Documentary
Heather McIntosh provides a survey of organizations whose relationship to the documentary form, or dedication to the form have helped shape and promote the genre.
- Oscar 2012: 'Undefeated,' As Luck Would Have It
Adam Schartoff talks with TJ Martin and Daniel Lindsay, the Oscar nominated filmmakers behind the documentary Undefeated.
- Oscar 2012: Surprises Among the Documentary Nominations
Wow. The Oscar nominees were just announced this morning and I have to admit I was shocked. I was so expecting a number of popular and incredibly well-made films to get the nods, but I was wrong.
- With New Documentary Requirements, Oscar Is Just Being Oscar
Heather McIntosh talks with Michael Moore about the new process for documentary Oscar eligibility, and rounds up the flurry of commentary about the changes in the film press.
- New Oscar Eligibility Rules Could Shut Out Great Documentaries
Media reports suggest that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences will be announcing new rules connected to the documentary Oscars this week, including the use of The New York Times and Los Angeles Times as eligibility sieves. Guest blogger Edward J. Delaney considers the impact of the move.
- Documentary Year in Review Countdown #3: What If Banksy Wins an Oscar?
POV is counting down the top documentary stories of 2011 on New Year's Eve 2012.
- The Best Documentaries of 2011
According to who you ask, the best documentary of 2011 could have been one of 67 films. Could it be The Interrupters? Nostalgia for the Light? Project Nim? Cave of Forgotten Dreams? We've constructed a handy graphic to help you make your own decision.
- Doc Soup: Do You Care What Happens at the Oscars?
Let’s be totally reductive for a moment, and say that there are two kinds of documentary-lovers: those who enjoy watching the Oscars and those who don’t. I am very much the former, and often when I bring up my interest in the Academy Awards, I am slapped around for my interest in such commercial puffery. […]
- Doc Soup: More Fearless Oscar Predictions – Looking at the Shorts with an Academy Voter
The Best Documentary Short award is probably the least watched, least understood and least appreciated category at the Academy Awards. Okay, maybe it’s tied with Best Sound Editing. Still, that’s too bad. Fortunately, some of the winners have made the most of this underdog status in their speeches, such as when Jessica Yu joked in […]
- Doc Soup: Oscar Short List
It’s head-scratching season again, which is to say: it’s Oscar time. Last week, the shortlist of 15 documentaries being considered for the five Academy Award nominations was announced. And, sure enough, there were some head-scratchers out there. The most confounding was the exclusion of Michael Moore‘s Capitalism. Sure, this further confirms what I said a […]
- Handicapping the 2009 Best Doc Oscar Winner
Academy Award forecasting is such fun. I wish I could put together a chart with the various factors that I see determining the film with the best odds of winning the doc Oscar this year. Without a graphics department on my side, I’ll just mention the main variables: quality of film (yes, that matters!), popularity […]