- Doc Memo: Hidden Colonialism of Documentary, 'Making a Murderer' Returning to Netfilx
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- The Real Subjects, Real People, Real Experiences at Full Frame 2016
Doc Soup Man's biggest takeaway from Full Frame? Documentary honesty.
- Doc Soup's Most Anticipated Sundance Documentaries
The Sundance Film Festival kicks off today and, as always, there’s an astounding slate of documentaries that will be premiering there. These are the docs that we’ll be hearing about all year: Weiner, about Anthony Weiner’s unsuccessful mayoral bid and sexting scandal implosion; Jim: The James Foley Story, about the American journalist who was beheaded […]
- Documentaries at the Video Store
By the time I was 20, I had seen only two documentaries in theaters. The first was a special screening of Koyaanisqatsi with a live performance of the music by Phillip Glass, and the other was Michael Moore’s first out-of-left-(literally)-field hit, Roger & Me, in 1989. In other words, they were special events. Any other […]
- True/False 2014: A Recap
True/False Film Fest, which wrapped its 11th edition this weekend, has garnered the reputation of being one of the most beloved film festivals in a very crowded field.
- True/False 2014: My 5 Favorite Films
Tom Roston introduces you to five documentaries you'll need to seek out in 2014.
- True/False: Interview with 'Actress' Filmmaker Robert Greene
Doc Soup Man interviews filmmaker Robert Greene of the documentary Actress. Premieres at True/False Film Fest 2014.
- Hot Docs 2013: Preview
Doc Soup Man gives a preview of the documentaries that are on his must see list as he heads to Hot Docs this week.
- A New Hand Dealt Defines 'All In: The Poker Movie'
All In: The Poker Movie, which begins a theatrical run this month, is one of those documentaries that started one way and ended up a wholly different story.
- The Real Fake Promotion for 'Fake It So Real'
Robert Greene's new documentary about a band of amateur wrestlers opens in New York this weekend and he's enlisted an equally motley set of independent filmmaking enemies to help promote it.
- With New Documentary Requirements, Oscar Is Just Being Oscar
Heather McIntosh talks with Michael Moore about the new process for documentary Oscar eligibility, and rounds up the flurry of commentary about the changes in the film press.
- Pros Leave FCPX – Where Are They Heading?
The 'X' in Final Cut Pro was supposed to mean '10,' but it seems as if for a lot of professional editors, it's become the equivalent of 'NOT.'
- I Have $5,000… What's the Ideal Documentary Kit?
Indie filmmakers offer tips for building a documentary kit on a budget in this guest post from DocumentaryTech's Edward J. Delaney.
- Director Enters Rooftop Brawl after Screening of Wrestling Doc 'Fake It So Real'
Documentary lovers got a taste of pro wrestling, with some unusual participants, at a screening of Robert Greene's Fake It So Real in Brooklyn, New York.