- Doc Apocalypse? Michael Moore and Documentary Box Office Success
Tom Roston sits down with Michael Moore to talk Oscars and documentary box office success.
- See the Film, See the Star: Searching for Sugar Man and Rodriguez
See the film, then see the star – in concert! Searching for Sugar Man screens for free in Millburn, NJ on April 30th, then see the film's star, Rodriguez, in concert at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center.
- Predicting the Oscars' Best Documentary Nominees
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston predicts this year's Oscar nominations for Best Documentary. He's been on target before... will he get it right again?
- Doc Soup: 'Stories We Tell' Heads to Theaters
Tom Roston reflects on Sarah Polley's 'Stories We Tell' after a first weekend of box office success.
- Oscar 2013: Can Anything Overtake Sugar Man?
It’s as close to a lock on the Oscar winner as we’ve had in years. Everyone else is saying that 'Searching for Sugar Man' will win, so, just for the sake of keeping things lively, Tom Roston gives the race a second thought.
- Tom Roston's Top 10 Documentaries of 2012
Find out what films made it to the top of Doc Soup Man's list this year! From advocacy films, to those lauded for their artistry and cinematography, the list is just a small sampling of the great doc year that was 2012.
- Reviewing the 2013 Oscar Shortlist
Tom Roston takes a look at this years docs which are contenders for Academy nominations, referencing that the list proves it was a strong year for documentaries.
- Could More Docs Be Box Office Contenders With Larger Distribution?
Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry, The Imposter, and Searching for Sugar Man have had impressive earnings at the box office recently, which begs the question: could these have been big box office contenders with a larger distribution and marketing campaign?
- Tribeca 2012: Documentaries to Watch
A preview of documentaries from the 2012 Tribeca Film Festival slate.
- My Five Favorite Documentaries from True/False Film Fest 2012
Tom Roston recaps the Midwestern film festival True/False, where he saw a slate of inspiring documentaries including How to Survive a Plague, The Imposter, Bully, Searching for Sugar Man and Undefeated.
- A Preview of the 2012 True/False Film Fest
Tom Roston gives a rundown of the films he is looking forward to seeing at the True/False documentary festival, as well as some of the quirky events he hopes to catch while he's there.
- The Sundance 2012 Documentary Winners
Any documentary filmmaker will tell you that getting a film into Sundance is a Herculean achievement in itself, but some also come away with an award. Check out a rundown of the 13 prizes given to documentaries at this year's festival.
- Sundance 2012: The Man Behind the Docs Selling at Sundance
So far, who’s the most important person in docs at Sundance this year? A festival organizer? A doc subject? A director? Or none of the above?