- Doc Memo: 7 Ways Brexit May Impact British TV Industry, AFI DOCS Reminds Filmmakers of Transparency
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- The Making of Priya's Shakti
Jaya Mahajan discusses the making of Priya's Shakti, a multimedia project combating attitudes towards sexual assault, with producer Ram Devineni.
- For Filmmakers: The Top 25 Docutweeters
Whether you are new to Twitter or a veteran, "who should I follow" is always a burning question. Check out our list of the 25 Docutweeters that you should be sure to follow!
- Recommended Reading: Top 10 Twitter Tips for Filmmakers
In 2012, Thom Powers of Stranger Than Fiction gave his biggest tips for filmmakers on Twitter, covering the basics while also providing some great strategy pointers.
- Te'o, Catfish, and Truth in Documentary Filmmaking
Using the latest story about Manti Te'o as a launching pad, Tom Roston discusses the broader notion of truth and veracity when it comes to documentary filmmaking.
- Facebook? Twitter? Help! – Tips and Tricks for Filmmakers on Social Media
It's a new year. Festivals are gearing up again. And you think, how do I market my film on social media? Here is a list of some evergreen tips to get the ball rolling.
- 6 Golden Rules for Filmmakers on Social Media
What's the best way to ensure success online? Read six tips for engaging your audience from Elisabeth Holm (Kickstarter), Gary Hustwit (Helvetica), Julie La'Bassiere (FilmBuff) and Mike Knowlton (StoryCode, Murmur).
- What DIY Film Distributors Can Learn from the Launch of the Joffrey Documentary
Sheri Candler and Jon Reiss offered tips for getting a documentary to a niche group of viewers who might not be found through a traditional film distribution channel.
- Doc Soup: The #tweetmydoc Chat with Twitter Documentary Pitch Winner @YourName_MyName
Replay the October 27, 2011, Twitter interview between @DocSoupMan Tom Roston and #tweetmydoc twitter documentary pitch winner @YourName_MyName (Osato Dixon).
- From Occupy Wall Street Protester to Live Documentarian
Thorin Caristo, an amateur cameraman, joined the Occupy Wall Street movement on Day One as a protester, but he was quickly persuaded to join its media team. Now livestreaming videos around the clock from Zuccotti Park, Caristo lets us in on how he's documenting a burgeoning social-media uprising.
- Doc Soup: The #tweetmydoc Pitches, So Far
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston looks at who's been tweeting documentary pitches with the hastag #tweetmydoc. Share your doc over twitter by October 17, 2011 for a shot at a profile on the POV Blog.
- Doc Soup: Tweet Your Doc! (#tweetmydoc)
Later this month, Doc Soup Man Tom Roston will feature one documentary-in-progress that makes the most original and compelling use of Twitter — in 140 characters or less, of course. Share your doc with the hashtag #tweetmydoc by October 17, 2011.
- Could a $79 iPhone Attachment Revolutionize Documentary Filmmaking?
With Kogeto's panorama-making iPhone attachment "Dot" expected to ship in September, CEO Jeff Glasse discusses how 360° video tools like his, tapped into GPS and social networks, could change personal filmmaking.