- Oscar-Nominated 'The Look of Silence' Unlocks Secrets of Indonesia's 1965 Genocide, Revealing Bravery and Humanity of Survivors
Soft-spoken optometrist faces down his brother's unrepentant killers in unforgettable documentary; POV broadcast features conversation between director Joshua Oppenheimer and executive producer Werner Herzog.
- Joshua Oppenheimer and Adi Rukun Raise Awareness Amongst Silence
While on the Oscar campaign trail, Joshua Oppenheimer and Adi Rukun raise awareness against the silence on the 1960s Indonesian genocide.
- Human Rights Day 2015: Investigate the Issues with POV Docs
POV invites you to commemorate Human Rights Day on December 10th with screenings in your community or classroom.
- “My films are not about the crimes that happened in 1965. They are about impunity today.” Joshua Oppenheimer on 'The Look of Silence' and Revisiting the Indonesian Genocide
Filmmaker Joshua Oppenheimer ("The Act of Killing") tells Doc Soup Man Tom Roston about the making of his new documentary, "The Look of Silence," which begins a theatrical run this weekend.
- A Few Things to Note Before You Watch “The Look of Silence” This Weekend
"It's all fairly straight-forward. But then, suddenly, the film takes a radical turn."
- Upcoming Events
February 20th is World Day of Social Justice. The POV Lending Library features several films that highlight social justice issues around the world.
- Congrats to the BRITDOC Impact Award Winners
POV gives a huge round of applause to this year's BRITDOC Impact Award winners! The BRITDOC Impact Award celebrates documentary films that have made the greatest impact on society.
- Wednesday, December 3: A Conversation with Joshua Oppenheimer, director of “The Act of Killing”
Ask The Act of Killing director Joshua Oppenheimer your questions on Google+. Join the chat live on Wednesday, December 3, 2014, at 1 PM ET (10 AM PT).
- Upcoming Events
This week, five different films screen in five cities throughout the US, covering topics such as politics, genocide, and aging.
- “Audacious, horrifying, boldly experimental… breaks so many rules of documentary decorum.” – 'The Act of Killing' Is Now Streaming Free at POV
What critics have been saying about POV's documentary The Act of Killing, and all the ways you can watch it free right now.
- Spread the Word About 'The Act of Killing' Broadcast
Spread the word about the POV broadcast of The Act of Killing.
- Next on POV: The Act of Killing
As dreamlike and terrifying as anything that Werner Herzog (one of the executive producers) could imagine. Watch The Act of Killing, Monday on PBS.
- Enter the Edit: Niels Pagh Andersen and Colin Nusbaum
"There are a couple films in my career that changed me, not only as an editor, but as a human being... I think The Act of Killing absolutely is one of them." - Niels Pagh Andersen
- Announcing POV’s 2014 Season of Documentaries (Part 2)
POV's 2014 documentaries show how art can both heal and surprise, uncover hidden histories and jog a nation's conscience. Mondays on PBS starting June 23, 2014.
- Documentary Filmmakers Debate One of Their Own
Filmmakers are arguing over The Act of Killing -- Is it brilliant storytelling or irresponsible filmmaking? -- but there's more going on here.
- #365Docs: The Act of Killing (14/365)
I'm watching 365 documentaries and writing about each one in 2014. Tweet your suggestions to @documentarysite.
- The Oscars: Doc Soup Man's Predictions for Best Documentary
Five documentaries are vying for an Academy Award this Sunday. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston picks the one that could win, and why.
- Sundance 2014: Five Major Documentary Takeaways
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston shares the biggest documentary news from the 2014 Sundance Film Festival.