- Watching Kartemquin Films
Kartemquin Films has a strong Chicago connection, and many of its documentaries are about the city and its people in some way.
- Sundance 2014: Five Major Documentary Takeaways
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston shares the biggest documentary news from the 2014 Sundance Film Festival.
- Where You Can Watch 2013 News and Documentary Emmy Winners
At last night's News and Documentary Emmy Awards ceremony, PBS programs garnered nine awards. The good news for you — all of these winners are available to watch for free online!
- A Visit to Kartemquin Films: An Inside Look at a Corner Documentary Production Studio
This post is the first in a series about my visit to the documentary production powerhouse Kartemquin Films.
- The Best Documentaries of 2011 (Updated)
Nerd out to our infographic of the top documentaries of 2011, based on lists from critics, documentary festivals, industry organizations and online voting!
- 'The Interrupters' Takes Top Two Prizes at Cinema Eye Honors 2012
On a rainy evening in Queens, New York, a group of documentary luminaries got together to celebrate the 2012 Cinema Eye Honors, a five-year-old awards show for nonfiction filmmaking.
- Documentary Year in Review Countdown #12: Ford Foundation Funds Webified Documentaries
POV is counting down the top documentary stories of 2011 on New Year's Eve 2012.
- The Best Documentaries of 2011
According to who you ask, the best documentary of 2011 could have been one of 67 films. Could it be The Interrupters? Nostalgia for the Light? Project Nim? Cave of Forgotten Dreams? We've constructed a handy graphic to help you make your own decision.
- The 2011 Documentary Oscars: My Shortlist
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston proposes an entirely different list of 15 films that could have just as easily been deemed Oscar-worthy.
- A Conversation with Steve James, Director of 'The Interrupters'
In his new documentary The Interrupters, director Steve James tells the story of three former gang members who "interrupt" violence in urban Chicago. James discusses the film, his multi-award-winning Hoop Dreams and what he's learned from following film subjects over years.