- The Stunning Storytelling of Laura Poitras: Astro Noise
Why award-winning documentarian Laura Poitras' first solo museum exhibition at the Whitney Museum can't be missed.
- Enter the Edit: A Conversation With Editor Jonathan Oppenheim
Colin Nusbaum speaks with his Karen Schmeer Film Editing Fellow mentor, esteemed editor Jonathan Oppenheim, about his editing process.
- Oscar 2015: What the Documentary Winners Said (Or Didn't)
The documentary community breathed a deep sigh of relief last night when Laura Poitras won the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature, but her speech was a missed opportunity.
- Win Tickets to Watch POV Films at MoMA Documentary Fortnight
The Museum of Modern Art is celebrating 25 years of POV with a special program, MoMA Selects: POV from Wednesday, Feb. 27 - Monday, March 4, 2013, as part of its Documentary Fortnight 2013 program.
- Natalia Almada and Laura Poitras: Meet Two Documentary “Geniuses”
POV congratulates filmmakers Natalia Almada and Laura Poitras for being named among the 2012 MacArthur Fellows!
- POV Wins Four News & Documentary Emmy Awards, Including Best Documentary for 'Food, Inc.'
After receiving a record 12 nominations in the 32nd Annual News & Documentary Emmy Awards, the POV films Presumed Guilty, Good Fortune and Food, Inc. won a total of four Emmys.
- 'The Oath' Streams Online, Director Laura Poitras Joins Live Chat with PBS NewsHour for 9/11 Anniversary
Watch The Oath online during Sept. 2011 on the POV website, and join a live chat about post-9/11 documentaries with Academy Award-nominated director Laura Poitras September 12 at 2 PM ET (11 AM PT).
- POV Viewers Find Meaning in 'The Oath'
Each Friday, we share a selection of comments relating to the week's documentary broadcast. This week, viewers watched former Osama bin Laden bodyguard Abu Jandal in The Oath, a story layered with contradiction, irony and tragedy.
- Next on POV: 'The Oath'
The Oath, directed by Laura Poitras, airs on PBS stations this Tuesday, August 16, 2011.
- Doc Soup: 'The Oath' and Understanding the Enemy as a Human Being
Independent journalist Tom Roston revisits The Oath, the 2010 documentary about Osama bin Laden's former bodyguard and driver, at a screening with producer Jonathan Oppenheim.
- Documentary Awards Season – A Response
POV’s Series Producer Yance Ford responds to Tom Roston’s assertion that most of the nominees for the best documentary feature in the International Documentary Assocation, Gotham Awards and Cinema Eye Honors lists are obscure titles that haven’t received much in the way of “critical attention.” What do The Village Voice, The New York Times, Filmmaker […]
- Cinema Eye Honors Announces 2011 Nominees
The 2011 Cinema Eye Honors nominees were just announced last week, and we’re thrilled to find that a few POV films are on the list. Lixin Fan‘s Last Train Home, which will be broacast on POV in 2011, has been nominated for seven awards, including Outstanding Achievement in Nonfiction Feature Filmmaking, Direction, Production, Cinematography, Editing, […]
- Weekly Roundup: POV's 2010 Season and the Court Decision on 'Crude'
The POV office has been busy over the past few weeks as we get ready to kick off our 23rd season on June 22, 2010! Here’s a roundup of news about POV films and from around the documentary world. Getafilm Blog previews the 2010 POV season and says that through the series, “nearly every week […]
- Weekly Roundup: True False Fest Kicks Off, Whistle Blowers Speak Out and Roger Ebert's (New) Voice
The True False Film Festival got underway in Columbia, Missouri yesterday and continues over this weekend. POV’s own Yance Ford is there and will be tweeting about the screenings she’s attending. Over 40 documentary films are being featured, including Laura Poitras‘s The Oath and Lixin Fan‘s Last Train Home, which will be featured on POV […]
- Sundance 2010: Wrapping Up
POV’s series producer Yance Ford is at the Sundance Film Festival. She has been blogging and twittering from Park City this week. I’m back from Sundance, wrinkled from the red-eye and in full possession of a Sundance sore throat. Right now it’s snowing in New York, and if you squint hard, Gotham looks a little […]
- Sundance Update: Meetings, Screenings, Panels and Parties in Park City
POV’s series producer Yance Ford is at the Sundance Film Festival. She’s blogging and twittering from Park City throughout the week. Well, the infamous Sundance wall reared up and smacked me on Tuesday. Keeping up with the meetings, screenings, panels and parties here in Park City is an exhausting (though fun) job, but once in […]
- Sundance Update: Names, Films, and Gossip Girls
POV’s series producer Yance Ford is at the Sundance Film Festival. She’ll be blogging and twittering from Park City throughout the week. Day four of the 2010 Sundance Film Festival kicked off with a 9 a.m. screening of The Oath by Laura Poitras, followed by the premiere of My Perestroika by Robin Hessman. Both films […]