- The Ridiculously Diverse Selection of Top Notch Material at SXSW 2016
From web series to documentaries, see what impressed Tom Roston at SXSW 2016.
- Top 10 Documentaries to Watch at SXSW 2016
The 10 documentaries Doc Soup's Tom Roston is looking forward to at SXSW 2016.
- Reel Talk: The Panels to Look Out For at SXSW
A look into the cool panels at SXSW this year.
- The Action-Packed Nuance of Cartel Land
The case for Cartel Land to make the Oscar shortlist for Best Documentary Feature.
- Ross Sutherland Remixes Nonfiction Storytelling
Meet the U.K. visual artist and poet that created a hybrid of poetry, documentary, rap and video art.
- TIFF Docs: A Look at What's Coming to Toronto International Film Festival in 2015
The Toronto International Film Festival lineup is out, and Tom Roston talks to programmer Thom Powers about music docs, Michael Moore, and what festival goers can look forward to this year September.
- The Vanishing of the Director of 'The Vanquishing of the Witch Baba Yaga'
"Real life trumped the rest." Tom Roston sets out to learn why 'The Vanquishing of the Witch Baba Yaga' filmmaker Jessica Oreck has taken a step back from the documentary film world.
- Lucy Walker's 'The Lion's Mouth Open' and Confronting Huntington's Disease
Where do we draw the line between being movie watchers and empathetic human beings when viewing a documentary about the fate of someone's life? Tom Roston reflects on Lucy Walker's short documentary The Lion's Mouth Opens, premiering on HBO Documentaries.
- Legendary Director Frederick Wiseman to Pitch at Hot Docs 2015 Forum
Legendary filmmaker Frederick Wiseman will pitch his new film Jackson Heights at Hot Docs Forum.
- Tribeca Film Festival 2015: Preview
Doc Soup Man shares the top documentary films to see at Tribeca Film Festival 2015 along with insights from Tribeca programmer, Cara Cusumano.
- 'India's Daughter' and the Importance of Social-Issue Documentaries
Banned from television in India as "objectionable content," Leslee Udwin's controversial documentary India's Daughter forces us to take a closer look at the 2012 gang rape in Dehli.
- Remembering Documentary Pioneer Albert Maysles
Tom Roston remembers veteran documentarian and mentor Albert Maysles.
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the Winner Will Be…
Tom Roston considers this year's Best Documentary Oscar contenders with his tried-and-true method for predicting which film will win.
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the nominees will be…
Doc Soup Man is not one to shy away from predictions. His thoughts on which documentaries will be nominated for the Oscars in 2015.
- Documentary Community Gathers at 2015 Cinema Eye Honors
If there is ever a question whether or not there's an actual community of documentary filmmakers, the first bit of evidence should be the Cinema Eye Honors.
- Tabitha Jackson Shifts Sundance Institute's Documentary Focus Towards Aesthetics
Doc Soup Man talks with Sundance Institute's documentary program director, Tabitha Jackson, who says she wants make sure "that the doors are opened more widely" for artistic expression in documentary filmmaking.
- The Must-See Documentaries at This Year's DOC NYC Festival
Doc Soup Man picks his top four documentaries for this year's festival.
- 'Virunga' Goes to Netflix
Virunga, one of Doc Soup Man's rave docs of the year, will be available on Netflix beginning November 7, 2014. What does this mean for the film, and for Netflix's position in the doc world?