Sherri Miller (Lancaster, PA) & Joshua Leyva (Fountain Valley, CA)
Ready to host your own The City Dark Premiere Party? It’s easy—red carpet not required! Here's a guide to getting started.
- Set a date and place — Invite as many people as you like to your home, school, community center or any location to watch The City Dark on your television or laptop. The City Dark will have its national broadcast premiere on Thursday, July 5 at 10 p.m. (check local listings). Host your party the night of the premiere or during the first two weeks that the film is streaming online. http://video.pbs.org.
- Test your A/V equipment and check your local listings — Make sure your TV or computer connection works before the big bash. And check to make sure that The City Dark is airing at the right time on your PBS station by entering your zip code on POV's TV Schedule Page.
- Talk about the film — Encourage your guests to share their insights and reactions. You can also give your guests a bit of context about the film (head over to the Film Description to read more about the film, and see what the filmmaker has to say).
- One way to get a discussion going is to pose a general question such as:
- Or try a film-specific discussion question:
- Take pictures— Take pictures of your party and upload them to POV’s Premiere Party Flickr group
- Tweet, Blog, Facebook— We want to know who joined in, what you thought of the film and what you talked about. Blog about your party and send us a link, Tweet @POVengage to tell POV what you discussed, or Fan POV on Facebook and leave us a comment.
- Take Action— Find out more about the issues and learn how you can take action.
- Tell us about your Premiere Party for a chance to receive a POV Prize Pack— Visit the The City Dark Premiere Party Entry Page two weeks after the Thursday night premiere (the contest ends at 5 p.m. ET two weeks after the national broadcast premiere) to tell POV about your experience and to enter the giveaway.
Make sure to leave us your email address, and you may be selected to receive a POV Party Pack!
- There will be two Party Pack winners for each POV broadcast for a total of 26 winners. All entries will be eligible for the Grand Prize, which will include all of the gifts plus a Sony a77 DSLR camera and lens (Retail value: $1,999). The Grand Prize winner will be announced on January 29, 2013.
Watch The City Dark!
— If you could ask anyone in the film a single question, who would you ask and what would you ask him or her?
— What did you learn from this film? What insights did it provide?
— Describe a moment or scene in the film that you found particularly disturbing or moving. What was it about that scene that was especially compelling for you?
— The filmmaker opens the film by asking, “What do we lose when we lose the night?” How would you answer that question?
— From a public health perspective, how would you balance the economic benefits of night shift employment with the potential risks to employees’ health?
— In what ways does light increase social interaction and make people feel safer? How would you balance those benefits with the benefits of darkness?