Karen Lewis (Oviedo, FL) & John Schmieder (Sandusky, OH)
Ready to host your own Granito: How to Nail a Dictator Premiere Party? It’s easy—red carpet not required! Here's a guide to getting started.
- Set a date and place — Invite as many people as you like to your home, school, community center or any location to watch Granito: How to Nail a Dictator on your television or laptop. Granito: How to Nail a Dictator will have its national broadcast premiere on Thursday, June 28 at 10 p.m. (check local listings). Host your party the night of the premiere or during the first two weeks that the film is streaming online. http://video.pbs.org.
- Test your A/V equipment and check your local listings — Make sure your TV or computer connection works before the big bash. And check to make sure that My Reincarnation is airing at the right time on your PBS station by entering your zip code on POV's TV Schedule Page.
- Talk about the film — Encourage your guests to share their insights and reactions. You can also give your guests a bit of context about the film (head over to the Film Description to read more about the film, and see what the filmmaker has to say).
- One way to get a discussion going is to pose a general question such as:
- Or try a film-specific discussion question:
- Take pictures— Take pictures of your party and upload them to POV’s Premiere Party Flickr group
- Tweet, Blog, Facebook— We want to know who joined in, what you thought of the film and what you talked about. Blog about your party and send us a link, Tweet @POVengage to tell POV what you discussed, or Fan POV on Facebook and leave us a comment.
- Take Action— Find out more about the issues and learn how you can take action.
- Tell us about your Premiere Party for a chance to receive a POV Prize Pack— Visit the Granito Premiere Party Entry Page two weeks after the Thursday night premiere (the contest ends at 5 p.m. ET two weeks after the national broadcast premiere) to tell POV about your experience and to enter the giveaway.
Make sure to leave us your email address, and you may be selected to receive a POV Party Pack!
- There will be two Party Pack winners for each POV broadcast for a total of 26 winners. All entries will be eligible for the Grand Prize, which will include all of the gifts plus a Sony a77 DSLR camera and lens (Retail value: $1,999). The Grand Prize winner will be announced on January 29, 2013.
Watch Granito: How to Nail a Dictator!
— If you could ask anyone in the film a single question, who would you ask and what would you ask him or her?
— What did you learn from this film? What insights did it provide?
— Describe a moment or scene in the film that you found particularly disturbing or moving. What was it about that scene that was especially compelling for you?
— The filmmaker says that she went to Guatemala in 1982 to make a film about a “hidden war.” How is it possible for a war to be “hidden”? Who has to be complicit to keep a war hidden?
— The filmmaker opens with this question: “How does each of us weave our own responsibilities into the pattern of history?” How would you answer her?
— In your view, should U.S. leaders who provided support for Guatemala’s dictators also be tried for human rights violations? Why or why not?