Congratulations to the winners of the Guilty Pleasures Premiere Party Pack Giveaway: Wendy Phillips (Albuquerque, NM) & Pamela Edwards (Fort Collins, CO)
Ready to host your own Guilty Pleasures Premiere Party? It’s easy—red carpet not required! Here’s a guide to getting started.
Set a date and place – Invite as many people as you like to your home, school, community center or any location to watch Granito: How to Nail a Dictator on your television or laptop. Guilty Pleasures will have its national broadcast premiere on Thursday, July 12 at 10 p.m. (check local listings). Host your party the night of the premiere or during the first two weeks that the film is streaming online. http://video.pbs.org.
Test your A/V equipment and check your local listings — Make sure your TV or computer connection works before the big bash. And check to make sure thatGuilty Pleasures is airing at the right time on your PBS station by entering your zip code on POV’s TV Schedule Page.
Watch Guilty Pleasures!
Talk about the film — Encourage your guests to share their insights and reactions. You can also give your guests a bit of context about the film (head over to the Film Description to read more about the film, and see what the filmmaker has to say).
One way to get a discussion going is to pose a general question such as:
- If you could ask anyone in the film a single question, who would you ask and what would you ask him or her?
- What did you learn from this film? What insights did it provide?
- Describe a moment or scene in the film that you found particularly disturbing or moving. What was it about that scene that was especially compelling for you?
Or try a film-specific discussion question:
- Stephen says, “We’re all yearning for love.” In your view, do Harlequin books satisfy that yearning?
- In the film, we find out that author Gill Sanderson is, in fact, a middle-aged single man named Roger. Did that surprise you? Does it matter who actually writes the books?
- What would the world be like if real life were like a Harlequin novel? Who would the “winners” and “losers” be? Who would have the best chance at achieving success and happiness and who would have little chance?
Take pictures— Take pictures of your party and upload them to POV’s Premiere Party Flickr group
Tweet, Blog, Facebook— We want to know who joined in, what you thought of the film and what you talked about. Blog about your party and send us a link, Tweet @POVengage to tell POV what you discussed, or Fan POV on Facebook and leave us a comment.
Take Action— Find out more about the issues and learn how you can take action.
Tell us about your Premiere Party for a chance to receive a POV Prize Pack— Visit the Guilty Pleasures Premiere Party Entry Page two weeks after the Thursday night premiere (the contest ends at 5 p.m. ET two weeks after the national broadcast premiere) to tell POV about your experience and to enter the giveaway.Make sure to leave us your email address, and you may be selected to receive a POV Party Pack!