Michee Cheng (Douglaston, NY) & Elaine Gasaway (Novi, MI)
Ready to host your own Up Heartbreak Hill Premiere Party? It’s easy—red carpet not required! Here's a guide to getting started.
- Set a date and place — Invite as many people as you like to your home, school, community center or any location to watch Up Heartbreak Hill on your television or laptop. Up Heartbreak Hill will have its national broadcast premiere on Thursday, July 26 at 10 p.m. (check local listings). Host your party the night of the premiere or during the first two weeks that the film is streaming online. http://video.pbs.org.
- Invite your guests — Use the Punchbowl invite template for an easy way to invite friends and family. Sign into Punchbowl for free and choose the Movie/TV theme to create your Premiere Party invitation—www.punchbowl.com
- Test your A/V equipment and check your local listings — Make sure your TV or computer connection works before the big bash. And check to make sure that Up Heartbreak Hill is airing at the right time on your PBS station by entering your zip code on POV's TV Schedule Page.
- Talk about the film — Encourage your guests to share their insights and reactions. You can also give your guests a bit of context about the film (head over to the Film Description to read more about the film, and see what the filmmaker has to say).
- One way to get a discussion going is to pose a general question such as:
- Or try a film-specific discussion question:
- Take pictures— Take pictures of your party and upload them to POV’s Premiere Party Flickr group
- Tweet, Blog, Facebook— We want to know who joined in, what you thought of the film and what you talked about. Blog about your party and send us a link, Tweet @POVengage to tell POV what you discussed, or Fan POV on Facebook and leave us a comment.
- Take Action— Find out more about the issues and learn how you can take action.
- Tell us about your Premiere Party for a chance to receive a POV Prize Pack— Visit the Up Heartbreak Hill Premiere Party Entry Page two weeks after the Thursday night premiere (the contest ends at 5 p.m. ET two weeks after the national broadcast premiere) to tell POV about your experience and to enter the giveaway.
Make sure to leave us your email address, and you may be selected to receive a POV Party Pack!
- There will be two Party Pack winners for each POV broadcast for a total of 26 winners. All entries will be eligible for the Grand Prize, which will include all of the gifts plus a Sony a77 DSLR camera and lens (Retail value: $1,999). The Grand Prize winner will be announced on January 29, 2013.
Watch Up Heartbreak Hill!
— If you could ask anyone in the film a single question, who would you ask and what would you ask him or her?
— What did you learn from this film? What insights did it provide?
— Describe a moment or scene in the film that you found particularly disturbing or moving. What was it about that scene that was especially compelling for you?
— Thomas opens the film saying, “Around here, everyone thinks they live in a third world country.” What do you think he means by that? What was your reaction to hearing life in a community in the U.S. described as being like living in the “third world”?
— What do you learn about white privilege from Tamara’s experience getting her certificate of Indian blood that is required for aid applications “to make sure that I’m Indian…” What does it feel like, or what do you think it would feel like to be required to get a certificate to prove your heritage?
—How does running link Thomas to his people and to his family? In what ways are those links an inspiration and in what ways might they be a burden?