February 10, 2007 | Episode 6, Season 2
Real Simple Television Productions Inc.
Whole-Wheat Spaghetti with Hazelnuts and Asparagus
- Hands-On Time:
Total Time: 20 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) hazelnuts—toasted, skinned, and roughly chopped (or substitute pine nuts)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small wedge (about 2 ounces) Parmesan
Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions. Meanwhile, with a vegetable peeler, shave the asparagus lengthwise into long ribbons. Add the asparagus to the pasta water during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain the spaghetti and asparagus and return them to pot. Add the oil and hazelnuts; toss. Season with the salt and pepper; toss again. Divide the spaghetti among individual plates. With the peeler, shave the Parmesan over the top.
Tip: To toast hazelnuts, place them on a baking sheet in a 350° F oven until they're barely browned and fragrant, 7 to 12 minutes. To remove the skins, transfer the hot nuts to a large kitchen towel, fold one end over the nuts, and rub briskly.