July 28, 2007 | Episode 23, Season 2
Real Simple Television Productions Inc.
Cheddar and Chive Scones
- Hands-On Time:
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2/3 cup heavy cream, plus 1 tablespoon for brushing
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) grated Cheddar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
Heat oven to 425° F. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives held crisscross fashion, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 2/3 cup of the cream. Add the Cheddar and chives and use your hands to combine; the dough should be crumbly. Knead the dough a couple of times until it comes together. Gently pat it into a ball, then flatten slightly into a 1-inch-thick disk. Transfer to a baking sheet. Slice into quarters, then cut each quarter in half. Brush the top with the remaining cream. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden.