Watch Scientific American Frontiers Show 803: Nordic Sagas, and test your
knowledge by answering these questions:
1. Vikings dominated the seas in the northern hemisphere during this era:
a. A.D. 700 to 1000
2. Identify three technological innovations made by Viking shipbuilders
that enabled the Vikings to be such successful sailors.
b. A.D. 100 to 400
c. 700 to 200 B.C.
d. A.D. 1000 to 1400
3. In this story, deCode Genetics is tracking the genes for which disease?
4. Why is the Icelandic population ideal for genetic research?
b. macular degeneration
d. multiple sclerosis
6. What do people in Iceland mainly use to heat their homes?
a. wood stoves
5. What happened in 1986 that caused the number of new plant species on
Surtsey to increase dramatically?
b. hot water
c. natural gas
ISAAC AND FRIENDS
7. Who or what is Isaac?
a. a computer
8. How do Stig and Thomas, the two Swedish men in the story, communicate?
b. a telephone
c. a camera
d. a GPS satellite navigator
e. all of the above
9. What is the principal source of food for the Sami people?
a. whale meat
10. How did the lichen become contaminated?
c. musk ox
I WANT TO SEE THE ANSWERS TO THE
NORDIC SAGAS VIEWER CHALLENGE