Viewer Challenge Quiz
Watch Scientific American Frontiers Show 801: Expedition Panama, and test your knowledge by answering these questions:
ECHOES IN THE NIGHT
1. What sense do bats seen on Frontiers primarily use to find their prey?
2. Why can't humans hear bat calls?
- a. touch
- b. smell
- c. sight
- d. hearing
3. How was Barro Colorado Island created?
4. How are scientists at the rain forest pilot project getting rid of the aggressive grass? (choose 2)
- a. spraying with herbicide
- b. planting fast-growing bean trees
- c. cutting it down
- d. replacing with genetically engineered grass
5. The Panama bees featured in the story are distinctive for all of the following reasons except:
6. How do the bees in the story communicate information?
- a. they are stingless
- b. they don't make honey
- c. they are selective about nests
- d. they communicate about height
Bridge That Changed the World
7. About how long did it take the Isthmus of Panama to form?
8. Identify at least two consequences of the formation of the Isthmus of Panama.
- a. 18 million years
- b. 4 million years
- c. 14 million years
- d. 20 million years
9. Scientists calculate that the leafcutter ants devour what percent of the forest foliage each year?
10. What happens to the leaves that the ants bring back to their nest?
- a. The ants eat them.
- b. The ants use them to mark trails.
- c. Fungus grows on them.
- d. The leaves are used to make nests.
I WANT TO SEE THE ANSWERS TO THE
EXPEDITION PANAMA VIEWER CHALLENGE
Scientific American Frontiers
Fall 1990 to Spring 2000
Sponsored by GTE Corporation,
now a part of Verizon Communications Inc.