Viewer Challenge Quiz
Watch Scientific American Frontiers Show 802: Beyond Science?, and test your knowledge by answering these questions:
WATER, WATER EVERYWHERE...
1. A magnetometer (the instrument seen on the show) can find water deep underground by:
b. detecting variations in magnetic fields.
2. How can we make sure we don't fool ourselves by wanting a belief to be true?
c. detecting rock fractures.
d. sensing moisture.
ALIENS HAVE LANDED
3. In what year was the alien spacecraft said to have crash landed at Roswell?
4. What is the real explanation for the "hieroglyphic" markings allegedly found on the spacecraft at the crash site?
NEW ENERGY AGE
5. What is the promise of zero-point energy?
6. Physicist Steven Weinberg believes that the amount of zero-point energy that exists in a volume of space the size of the earth is about the equivalent of a:
a. gallon of gasoline.
b. bushel of wheat.
c. kilogram of air.
d. ton of oil.
7. What do graphologists believe they learn from a person's handwriting?
8. What are the problems with graphology?
a. Everyone's handwriting is too similar.
b. There is no proven link between handwriting and personality.
c. Graphologists may be influenced by content.
d. It takes too long to give a handwriting sample.
9. The phenomenon in which patients respond favorably when they believe they are being treated is known as a:
10. What do practitioners believe happens in therapeutic touch?
b. double-blind experiment.
d. placebo effect.
I WANT TO SEE THE ANSWERS TO THE
BEYOND SCIENCE? VIEWER CHALLENGE
Scientific American Frontiers
Fall 1990 to Spring 2000
Sponsored by GTE Corporation,
now a part of Verizon Communications Inc.