Viewer Challenge Quiz
Watch Scientific American Frontiers Show 905: Spiders!, and test your knowledge by answering these questions:
SPIN, SPIN, SPIN
1. Spiders "hear" with their:
2. The spiral part of a spider's web traps prey because it is:
- a. ears.
- b. legs.
- c. antennae.
- d. abdomen hairs.
SONG AND DANCE
3. Portia spiders are able to communicate over webs by sending messages or signaling via:
4. What attracts the female spider to the male spider in this story?
- a. vibrations.
- b. pheromones.
- c. deceptive flights.
- d. electrical currents.
5. How does the female funnel-web spider identify her prey?
6. The hybrid offspring of the aggressive desert spiders and the timid river spiders seem to be:
- a. unintelligent.
- b. overly aggressive.
- c. very timid.
- d. confused.
7. The spiders Leticia Avilés studies in Ecuador are unusual because they:
8. What natural defense do tarantulas use to irritate their enemies?
- a. are huge.
- b. are extremely aggressive.
- c. live very long lives.
- d. live in colonies.
9. What are three ways Joanne's fear or phobia of spiders has affected her life?
10. What technology did psychologist Al Carlin and scientist Hunter Hoffman use to treat Joanne's phobia?
I WANT TO SEE THE ANSWERS TO THE
SPIDERS! VIEWER CHALLENGE
Scientific American Frontiers
Fall 1990 to Spring 2000
Sponsored by GTE Corporation,
now a part of Verizon Communications Inc.