Baddesley Clinton, Warwickshire
Baddesley ClintonIn Shakespeare's time, this fortress of a house was owned by the Vaux sisters. These fiercely Catholic sisters offered shelter to wanted Catholic and Jesuit priests and were known to hold illegal Masses. Robert Southwell was among the holy men who found shelter in Baddesley Clinton's purpose-built "priest holes." These carefully concealed hiding places were used by priests during the raids that were repeatedly mounted by the Protestant authorities.
Baddesley Clinton's priest holeBaddesley Clinton is now run by the National Trust
"a romantic and atmospheric moated manor house, dating from the 15th century and little changed since 1634. The interiors reflect the house's heyday in the Elizabethan era, when it was a haven for persecuted Catholics there are no fewer than three priest-holes. There is a delightful garden with stewponds, a lake walk and nature walk."