Since the national launch on PBS KIDS, the success of the Preschool Video player has been amazing. In the month of December alone the player had 66 million stream requests at pbskids.org/video. This is a daily stream average of 2.12 million video stream requests, which is incredible.
To implement this on your station site, visit the KIDS section of Station Remote Control here.
Supported by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), the PBS KIDS Preschool video player allows children ages 2‐5, and their parents, an opportunity to watch clips and full‐length episodes from their favorite PBS KIDS properties on an on‐demand basis.
In today's competitive media landscape video players are the norm, and not the exception, on children's Web sites. To ensure that PBS KIDS content continues to be accessible to as broad an audience as possible, we have built a module for stations to extend this reach locally and to help build your overall audience for kids 2‐5 and their parents.
Similar to the PBS KIDS GO! video player, this video service was built so member stations can feature the PBS KIDS video player and content on their local Web sites, while it is also offered on pbskids.org. This syndicated approach permits PBS to manage the service while allowing for easy implementation on local station Web sites, with no additional hosting or streaming cost to stations. As a result, stations will benefit from the increased traffic to their sites and continue to be a trusted source of educational content in their community.
The PBS KIDS video player is a companion service to PBS KIDS programming, and provides the following service to children and their parents:
- Stream a weekly schedule hosted by Dash, a series of clips compiled from different properties that are related by theme or reinforce broadcast by spotlighting programming stunts, new episodes, or series debuts.
- Provide a video‐on‐demand menu for parents to browse content by property, age, or topic for both clips and full episodes.
- Link video content to relevant existing interactive content such as games and property Web sites.
- Offer accessibility not only through the pbskids.org Web site, but also local station Web sites through a video module.
Unlike the PBS KIDS GO! video player, the PBS KIDS Preschool player features select full episodes for limited windows of time during the service (i.e. expiration dates will be implemented). It will have a different mix of featured clips each week, focusing on new shows and episodes, as well as seasonal and popular themes. There are direct links to online games and activities related to videos, options for full‐screen, closed captioning, short sneak peeks of new shows, Spanish audio tracks (as available), and the ability to share links to videos with friends.
This player currently features clips and full‐length episodes from the following properties:
- Between the Lions
- Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Curious George
- Dinosaur Train
- Dragon Tales
- Lomax and the Hound of Music
- Mama Mirabelle's Home Movies
- Martha Speaks
- Mister Rogers' Neighborhood
- Sesame Street
- Sid the Science Kid
- Super WHY!
- Word World
Additionally, interstitials such as Dot's Story Factory, Adventures with Hooper, Music Time with Steve Songs are shown on the player.
Parents have the opportunity to:
- Access the educational goals of the PBS KIDS property
- Share videos with friends
- Search video content by specific child OawvInRaf4 areas (i.e. Creative Arts, Physical Health, Language & Literacy, Mathematics, Science, Social & Emotional Growth)
- Search programs by age
- Use closed captioning
- Access clips/full‐length episodes in Spanish (as available)
We have found that multi-platform exposure for PBS KIDS properties creates playground buzz and interest among parents. We hope this broadband experience will be a complement to, and not a replacement for, your PBS KIDS broadcast.