Course Section Information
10/23/2013 - 12/03/2013
Max. Class Size: 30
Offered by PBS National
- Enrollment is not open.
Children's Authors on the Web: Online Sites that Motivate Students to Write
- Course Section Description:
Discover the power of author studies to motivate students to read and write, develop students as writers, and immerse them in thoughtful learning tasks. This updated course, which is aligned to the new Common Core State Standards, uses a problem-based approach to teach the techniques of conducting an author study integrating Web 2.0 technology tools and children's literature sites to create immersive activities that engage, develop reading and writing skills, and are meaningfully integrated into the curriculum. Learn how to support reading and writing literacy with author studies in the classroom and motivate students to engage with literature. Create an author study to implement in the classroom.
Note: This is a facilitated course. Learners submit coursework and participate in asynchronous discussions throughout the course term, and receive graded feedback.
For assignments and evaluation details, see the full Syllabus.
The number of hours identified for each course reflects time spent online, but does not reflect the total time spent completing offline coursework and assignments. All learners are different and you will likely spend double the indicated number of hours completing all coursework depending on your learning style and work habits.
- Graduate Credit Information:
- Graduate credit may be obtained from the provider(s) listed below, for an additional fee after the course begins.
- Adams State University - 2.0 credits - pricing
- Madonna University - 2.0 credits - pricing
- Central Michigan University - 2.0 credits - pricing
- University of Missouri - Kansas City - 2.0 credits - pricing
- University of Central Missouri - 2.0 credits - pricing
- James Madison University - 2.0 credits - pricing
- University of Sioux Falls - 2.0 credits - pricing
- Sierra Nevada College - 2.0 credits - pricing
- Morningside College - 2.0 credits - pricing
- Susan Allen
- Subject Area:
- Reading/Language Arts, Instructional Technology, Instructional Strategies
- Grade Level: