Course Section Information
07/09/2014 - 08/19/2014
Max. Class Size: 30
Available Seats: 2
Offered by PBS National
- Enrollment is not open.
Teaching Vocabulary: Word Meanings and Word Knowledge
- Course Section Description:
Design more effective lesson plans by learning to evaluate your students' word knowledge and to incorporate vocabulary instructional strategies. Explore the role of vocabulary knowledge in the relationship between the written vocabularies of reading and writing, and the oral vocabularies of listening and speaking. Evaluate how your instructional practices align with National Council of Teachers of English/International Reading Association (NCTE/IRA) standards and your state's standards.
Note: This is a facilitated course. Learners submit coursework and participate in asynchronous discussions throughout the course term, and receive graded feedback.
Classroom Link-Access to students recommended. PBS Classroom Link courses ask learners to implement lessons with their class or with a small group of students (options for learners without access to students are available).
For assignments and evaluation details, see the full Syllabus.
The number of hours identified for each course reflects time spent online, but does not reflect the total time spent completing offline coursework and assignments. All learners are different and you will likely spend double the indicated number of hours completing all coursework depending on your learning style and work habits.
- Graduate Credit Information:
- Graduate credit may be obtained from the provider(s) listed below, for an additional fee after the course begins.
- Adams State University - 3.0 credits - pricing
- Madonna University - 3.0 credits - pricing
- University of Missouri - Kansas City - 3.0 credits - pricing
- University of Central Missouri - 3.0 credits - pricing
- Washburn University - 3.0 credits - pricing
- University of Sioux Falls - 3.0 credits - pricing
- Central Michigan University - 3.0 credits - pricing
- Sierra Nevada College - 3.0 credits - pricing
- Morningside College - 3.0 credits - pricing
- Joyce King, Ed.D.
- Subject Area:
- Reading/Language Arts
- Grade Level: