Recommended Books & Links
Each month, PBS Teachers delivers a new selection of books and web sites recommended for teachers and students across grades levels and subjects. Explore our archive of more than 2,500 recommendations, too.
A Word About Our Recommended Books
How does PBS select its recommended books? Each book included on PBS Teachers is chosen with the following criteria in mind:
- The book holds readers’ interest by introducing them to engaging stories or new subjects or by treating familiar topics in unusual ways.
- The book expands textbook treatment of its topic in valid and interesting ways.
- The book provides teachers with background knowledge and sound instructional ideas.
- The book’s author is a superb writer and a trustworthy source of information and ideas.
- The book’s artwork is of high quality and expands the value and meaning of the print content.
A Word About Our Recommended Web Sites
How does PBS select its recommended links? Each site included on PBS Teachers is selected with the following criteria in mind:
- The site provides rich content and/or is an innovative model of the way technology can be used to enhance the curriculum.
- The site primarily is noncommercial. Teachers and students do not have to disclose e-mail addresses or purchase something in order to fully experience the site.
- The author of this site is a reliable source and his/her connection with sponsoring organizations is made clear.
- The site is well-maintained with few or no sections of missing content, broken links, or "under construction" signs.
- The site provides a lot of original content and does not rely primarily on links to other sites.
- The site's audience is clearly defined.
- Good navigation and design contribute to the site's overall effectiveness.