- Sesame Street-"#4074 - Telly Joins the Letter of the Month Club"
While Alan is preparing Hooper's Store for Henrietta Honker's birthday, Telly Monster comes in and tells Alan just how excited he is to be a new member of the "Letter of the Month Club!" Just then, the delivery man, Vinnie, arrives at Hooper's Store with Telly's first letter "A." Then, noticing how excited Telly is about his letter, Vinnie then comes back with more letters of the alphabet. Hooper's store is now filled with letters and letter sounds, and there doesn't seem to be enough room for everyone who's coming to celebrate Henrietta Honker's birthday.
The Alphabet Show! Rachel shows how to make Alphabet Pretzels, and the ZOOMers play Animal Alphabet. In the ZOOMguest segment we meet a girl who runs her own chocolate factory. Plus, the ZOOMers reveal the results of the Street Light survey.
Do in Class
Arthur: A is for Arthur - Use rebus sentences to explore letters, sounds, and alphabetical order.
- Arthur: Alphabet Shopping - Practice letter-sound association by matching pictures of grocery items to initial letters. Learn to alphabetize the words and categorize items by topic.
- Arthur: Magic ABC's - Create sandpaper alphabets and make rubbings of the letters to spell out your name.
- Arthur: Magnet Mania - Explore how magnets work by playing an alphabet fishing game.
- Arthur: My Name Starts With... - Practice letter recognition by creating a name graph.
- Between the Lions: Alphabet Cut-Outs - Print, cut out, and use these alphabet flash cards.
- Between the Lions: Alphabet Ventriloquist - Try to say the alphabet without moving your lips. Can you do it? If not, which letters are the hardest? How come?
- Maya & Miguel: The American Sign Language (ASL) Alphabet - Use this printable ASL alphabet to learn letters.
- Mister Rogers' Neighborhood: Looking for Letters - Identify different letters of the alphabet. Understand that letters, words and reading are useful in everyday life.
- SUPER WHY!: Egg-cellent Alphabet Hunt - Learn to identify letters and match letters to form words using paper eggs decorated with letters.
- SUPER WHY!: Musical Alphabet Chairs - Learn the letters of the alphabet or words that rhyme by playing this game of musical chairs.
- WordWorld: B-Charades - Develop understanding of the sound the letter "b" makes by playing charades to act out words that start with the /b/ sound.
- WordWorld: Going on an O Hunt - Practice letter identification by making an "o" necklace and going on a hunt to find O-shaped items around the house and community.
- ZOOM: Cafe ZOOM - Alphabet Pretzels - Make homemade pretzels in the shape of letters of the alphabet.
- ZOOM: ZOOM Games - Animal Alphabet - Try to name the most animals that start with the same letter in five minutes.
- ZOOM: ZOOM Games - Backwards Alphabet Race - Challenge your class to recite the alphabet backwards in a short amount of time.
Play and Watch Online
- Between the Lions: ABCD Watermelon - Help Leona fill in the missing letters of the alphabet in this online game.
- Between the Lions: Alphabet Soup - Unscramble the letters in the alphabet soup to find the missing word in the joke in this online game.
Between the Lions: Hung Up on H - Use a song from the Between the Lions program to explore the sound of the letter "h."
Between the Lions: Two Sounds Made by "C" - Watch Cleo perform a country music video about how hard it is to remember the letter "c" rule.
- Between the Lions: W Trouble - Explore words that begin with the sound of the letter "w" in this video song from the Between the Lions program.
- Caillou: Magic Keyboard - Type letters of the alphabet on your keyboard and hear a musical note for each letter typed.
- Clifford: Puppy Letters - Drag and drop the matching letters to complete the sentence.
- Noddy: Pop and Spell - Practice phonemic awareness while helping Big Ears pop balloons in this online interactive game. Begin by matching letters one to one, then progress to spelling simple words by matching letters to sounds.
- Mister Rogers' Neighborhood: Alphabet Wall - Identify letters and sounds in this alphabet game where you look behind each door to find a word that starts with that letter.
- Sesame Street: Letter of the Day - Play a letter recognition game with Sesame Street's Cookie Monster, recognizing beginning letters and sounds.
- SUPER WHY!: ABC, Sing with Me - Watch and sing along with Alpha Pig as he sings his own ABC song faster and faster.
- SUPER WHY!: Alpha Pig's Alpha-Bricks - Match letters to letter names with this online game.
- Zoboomafoo: Animal Alphabet - Match pictures of animals to their first letter and written names.
- A Gardener's Alphabet
By Mary Azarian
Published April 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Co
Do you know what a xeriscape is? Look through Mary Azarian's new alphabet book and find out. This book is a collection of words associated with different kinds of gardens in the four seasons. The full-page, colored woodcuts offer a lot for preschoolers and beginning readers to study.
- Mrs. McTats and Her Houseful of Cats
By Alyssa Satin Capucilli and Joan Rankin
Published May 2001 by Margaret K. McElderry
Mrs. McTats buys a fish to share with Abner, her cat, but scratching at her door announces the arrival of two more cats. She invites them in and calls them Basil and Curly. The next day three new cats appear. This amusing tale is told in verse. Children can count, add, and anticipate the names of the new cats as Mrs. McTats progresses through the alphabet. The last arrival is a surprise. Rankin's cats are endearing and sport oddly human noses.
*As most PBS children's programs offer one year extended taping rights for teachers, please feel free to tape them now and save them for use in your classroom during the school year.