Going to the Doctor or Dentist
- "Brushing Up On Teeth"
Join Baby Bop as she takes a trip through the Adventure Screen. See what a visit to the dentist's office is like, and watch as everyone enjoys some vigorous tooth brushing practice.
- "Itchy Patch "
Clifford is itching like crazy but tries hard to stop when he hears Emily Elizabeth say she'll take him to the vet if he keeps it up. With the help of Cleo and T-Bone, Clifford tries every trick to conceal his discomfort to avoid a trip to the doctor! But Clifford soon learns the value of trust in an unknown situation.
Do in Class
- Arthur: Handling Fear - Find suggestions for how kids can handle scary things like going to the doctor.
- Arthur: Tooth Truth - Make tooth brush holders, and invite a dentist to your classroom.
- Berenstain Bears: Section 4: Socio-Emotional Development: Dental Dilemmas - Do experiments on egg shells to see what different drinks do to the enamel of our teeth.
- Berenstain Bears: Section 2: Family & Community: Doctor Duties - Explore physicians' duties and what happens during a visit to the doctor.
- Dragon Tales: Calling Dr. Zak - Explore the work of doctors while preparing for your next appointment. Create a doctor's bag and instruments made from common household items, pretend that you're a doctor and draw a "How I Feel" picture to present to your doctor.
- Mister Rogers' Neighborhood: Homemade Toothpaste - Make toothpaste from a recipe. Learn about what we do to care for our teeth, including having dental check-ups.
- PBS Parents: Talking to Kids About Health: Going to the Doctor & Dentist - Help children feel better about going to the doctor, dentist, and even the hospital.
- What to Expect When You Go to the Dentist
By Heidi Murkoff and Laura Rader
Published March 2002 by HarperCollins Children's Books
Knowing what to expect can make visiting a dentist less stressful. This book is intended for children about to visit a dentist for the first time. It asks and answers common questions, such as: What does a dentist do? Why do I have to go? and What are all the tools for? Angus, the answer dog, provides an activity or idea on each page.
- Froggy Goes to the Doctor
By Jonathan London and Frank Remkiewicz
Published September 2002 by Viking Childrens Books
Froggy is happy not to go to school until he remembers his appointment with the doctor. In the waiting room, he meets another young frog and forgets his fears. Froggy is active and Dr. Mugwort is relieved to find him healthy and send him on his way. The book manages to entertain as well as outline the routine of an annual physical.
*As most PBS children's programs offer one year extended taping rights for teachers, please feel free to tape them now and save them for use in your classroom during the school year.